Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Free Horsepower...  (Read 164683 times)

TINDUCK RACING

Free Horsepower...
« on: September 05, 2001, 10:45:19 AM »
....Right gentlemen,let's cut the crap and be realistic...

!) we bought a turbo skyline.
2) probably because we saw them on Gran Turismo.
3) we can't get 900bhp by winning a few races in real life.
4) but they look the business..
5) ....and we feel sooooo good every time someone walks
past and says "look...a SKYLINE!!"....
6) but we don't tell anyone that they are not really that fast as standard......
7) most of us are not millionnaires and have saved every cent to get the car of our dreams.
8) so what can we do to get a few more horses out of the beast without costing us anymore of our hard earned bucks, and not risking our pride and joy being blown up.....

.........so........realistically......what's the cheapest way to more and better air flow.....can we use a bleed valve safely and effectively, and if so, how do we plumb it in....who out there has dyno results to prove that water spray CAN make a difference on the standard intercooler....does cutting wire #53 SAFELY remove the speed limiter....and is 10psi or 14psi the SAFE limit for boost on a standard R33 ceramic turbo....and where do you measure a SAFE level of boost from, is it the pressure at the plenum or just after the turbo....does a cone(pod) filter give more gains over a performance panel filter replacement or just more noise....

.....sorry, maybe too many questions for a single thread, but I hope that there are other proud owners around who also want to know if THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE.......

....PS: them taillights are cool though aren't they?

Cheers,
                  Jon.

4Nick8

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2001, 10:57:42 AM »
JESSSSUS!  So many questions!  Yea, I wish was a simple as the Turbo Kit # 4 and Stage 3 weight reduction whilst I'm at it thanks.  I just finished reading satcks of stuff on water-spray intercooling, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm an expert, and ready to go into business! :)  If you want a fairly un-bias view check this.

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0527/P_1/article.html

I did similar amounts of research on Air filters (more on R32 than 33), but it boiled down to "don't expect massive increases in horsepower just by adding a pod filter, and don't expect any one brand to perform much different to the next.  The most important thing is that there is enough ambient air, and that it is cold"  From this I took the cold air box approach (adapted from the standard one that the guys at Nissan so kindly made when my car was first popped out).

If you want free (or be it bloody cheap) performance, reset your computer, introduce yourself and your right foot, in a brutish display of formalities.  Run "the good oil" and get a nice shiney new fuel filter.

TINDUCK RACING

Cortina trap
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2001, 11:13:11 AM »
....Cheers 4nick...let's get the ball rolling.... thanx 4 the unbiased advice........so how long do you have to disconnect the battery to reset the brain, and how long do you have to thrash the living daylights out of it 'till it learns it's lesson??.....and what grade and spec would you call  " the good oil" ???
..........sorry 2 many more questions, but there are many of us out there who NEED to know........
....PS: is that a MK1 cortina in your avatar??
    cheers,
              Jon

4Nick8

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2001, 12:20:24 PM »
Were you a problem child?  Why is the sky blue, why do cows moo, why why why...... It's a good thing to ask though, I had some problems early on in the mod stage taking stuff out at random resulting in the loss of all steering...oops. :rolleyes:

I think you need to stomp on the anchors whilst it's disconnected (don't quote me on that one).

Most factory CPU's learn pretty quick, it's more so that the rev range and power is reflected in the depth of your pedal use.  Some of the other guys in the forum have had probs reseting the CPU then driving it 'round softly, it begins to think 1/2 pedal is full noise.  Most race guys will reset on a very regular basis (that's if they haven't changed to a Link or something).  Though I think in most cases it's best done just so it acclimatizes (temperature, altitude, fuel mixes etc etc) from where it first learnt it's characterisitics.

Whew!

Most people will say the good oil is something megga thin at temperature, but this needs to be offset against the mileage too.  In most instances Mobil1 will make a big difference to the sludge that it came with.  Good time to do the plugs too.  Don't lets get started on that one!

A Mk1? Why yes it is!  The Skyline is just the work hack (and a point of interest that keeps me on the fore-front of rice warez)  That one in particular isn't mine, mines in need of paint at the mo, so no pics yet.  It's a twincharged (4AG-ZE, with a EVO III turbo added for good measure) 1600 Toyota, with a few mods (Link, pulley etc).  That's my real love :dozey:

4Nick8

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2001, 12:21:36 PM »
Hey!  I see you're from Stoke on Trent, I have friends that grew up there......weird......

David Kemps

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2001, 12:37:17 PM »
the water spray thing all depends on how hot the air was to start with, not gonna get colder than the water thats getting sprayed on it. course cutting the wire #53 SAFELY removes the limiter!haha

Dave

unfamilia

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2001, 01:18:36 PM »
i like this thread... lots of questions, and lots of questions that ALWAYS appear in my mind :)

looking forward to the replies...

Rowan

moondog

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2001, 02:22:26 PM »
the ECU thing: yep, just disconnect the battery, stand on the brake pedal a couple of times, to make sure that all the juice is drained, then reconnect the battery and go for a drive. The alternative is disconnect and leave overnight, but I don't really see the point.

You could also wait for your alternator to die its inevitable death, then the battery will be drained real good. :p :p :jack: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2001, 07:55:05 AM by moondog »

MarioGTR

TinDuck
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2001, 02:43:49 PM »
Your from Stoke on Trent?  As in near Newcastle (the smaller one)?  Near Stone?  In the UK?

Otherwise known as the arse end of the universe?

I used to work there.  What a dreadful place - I did a 9 month tour of duty and I still have nightmares about people in red football jerseys...

Mario.

unfamilia

Re: TinDuck
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2001, 03:01:48 PM »
Originally posted by MarioGTR
Your from Stoke on Trent?  As in near Newcastle (the smaller one)?  Near Stone?  In the UK?

Otherwise known as the arse end of the universe?

I used to work there.  What a dreadful place - I did a 9 month tour of duty and I still have nightmares about people in red football jerseys...

Mario.

mario - had a friend ring me one night at around 1am ( ?!@# ) just to tell me that he saw 'THE BEST BLOODY SKYLINE EVER' driving down the road next to him (he was passenger in a stock R33 GTST - gray) around castle hill/baulkham hills area....

He explained it to me, and i was like, hey they sounds damn nice... sweet blue/purple colour, gold rims, awesome big front mount, damn quick,....

3 days later i was browsing the net and came across your website after speaking with zillar... turns out it was your R33..

oh how i love the 'small world' feeling :D

btw - keep it up, reading the latest installments on your website is some of the only entertaiment i get here at work :)

Rowan

4Nick8

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2001, 03:30:52 PM »
Looks like you've opened a can of worms here with all those questions.  Was just reading up on that question about 14psi on the old ceramic hairdryer.  I'm pick'n that at that sort of boost the standard ECU will be struggl'n to stop all detonation at high rpm, and I'm pick'n before you should be worrying about cranking the boost up you might want to price up some new brain power.  Boost isn't always proportional to power, remember that it's the same as a PC, it's only as fast as it's slowest component (eg, if the fuel pump can only handle 350cc to the injectors and you've just installed 600cc injectors, don't expect many gains etc).  I'd imagine you'd be best reading through the mod archives in the forum to work out the best stepp by step upgrades.  Usually it's pretty simple though, intake, then exhaust, then intercooler, then CPU, then turbo....blah blah blah.   Got me miffed with the bleed valve stuff, I'd quite like to see an answer to that one too.

Merli

Re: Re: TinDuck
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2001, 04:46:18 PM »
Originally posted by unfamilia

mario - had a friend ring me one night at around 1am ( ?!@# ) just to tell me that he saw 'THE BEST BLOODY SKYLINE EVER' driving down the road next to him (he was passenger in a stock R33 GTST - gray) around castle hill/baulkham hills area....

He explained it to me, and i was like, hey they sounds damn nice... sweet blue/purple colour, gold rims, awesome big front mount, damn quick,....

3 days later i was browsing the net and came across your website after speaking with zillar... turns out it was your R33..

Rowan

When was this Rowan?

Last time I visited Con (few days ago), Both of Mario's GTRs were there... I didn't look in the engine bay of his R33, but last time I looked (about a week ago), the engine was still being worked on?

There is another R33 GTR like you described with rego AWB, which is a monster as well... It has the same paint colour as Mario's R33, and had big gold wheels as well...

Mario, you got your R33 back have you? How's the lawsuit looking for the R34? I saw the bellhousing for the gearbox and it looks like it would have made quite a noise :)

--
Andrew Ho

TINDUCK RACING

The Story So Far......
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2001, 10:12:35 AM »
........the definitive guide to common sense no-money Skyline tuning so far......

(credits to an all star cast including:
             4NICK8
             unfamilia
             moondog
             David Kemps
             ...and special guest star MarioGTR )

....(Stoke's OK if you live in the nice end mario lol)

...anyways, here goes....
!) better air flow: looks like a replacement element supplies cooler and denser air than a pod (and costs less)
2) bleed valves: where and how....looks like the jury is still out on that one.
3) water spray on intercoolers: that one was answered brilliantly by 4nick8 if you follow the link on his post.
4) speed limiter: guess you all think it is safe to cut wire 53 so let's do it.
5) SAFE boost on standard turbo: ....let's have some more ideas.
6) BOOST....where do you measure it from....this has got to be important....if 10psi is safe, is that measured at the plenum after the pressure drop across the intercooler etc, or the actual boost just after the turbine????
7) resetting the ECU: ...thanks again 4nick8 (just got the joke BTW ....doh!!)
8) OIL.......is mobil1 surely too thin 4 these turbo lumps???
.....maybe mobil1 motorsport 15/50 is a better bet??

..............come on guys, let's have some more answers.....between us we can get the definitive guide together in one place..........any more answers?...anyone disagree totally who isnt trying to sell something?
          Cheers,
                       Jon.

slip

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2001, 10:45:45 AM »
Re: 1) No, you need to GET the colder denser air, usually using a better flowing aftermarket air filter - pod or panel.  
Just putting in a new filter to the stock position doesnt change the air its getting.

1. Route colder air to the airbox and use aftermkt panel filter
2. Custom cold air box (dont ask me bout this)
3. Pod filter in front of left wheel or somewhere where it gets lots of fresh air. (you dont want the hot air from in the engine bay)

TINDUCK RACING

cold air
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2001, 10:54:24 AM »
......thanx slip, top answer....the colder the better....but surely only DRY cool air so under arch pods are out of the question if you live where it rains all the time?
....PS: has anyone ever used electrically powered heat exchangers to cool the intake air...(like strapping a 12 volt refrigerator round your intake pipes?)
     cheers,
                   Jon