Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Free Horsepower...  (Read 165388 times)

TINDUCK RACING

Busy day...
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2001, 09:02:14 AM »
...Hi all....

been busy today.
  1) took a deep breath and cut wire 53....nothing caught fire or exploded....runs fine.....lost my speed limiter though :D :D :D
  2) ran the diagnostic on the ecu...came up with error 34 - believe it is the knock sensor :( :( :(
HELP!! how serious is this??
  3) reset the ecu and gave the car a damn good tatering round the back roads....now it runs better than it has ever done :)

......but this knock sensor is bothering me....surely the ecu will not know if detonation is occurring....and that can't be good can it??

HELP!!!!

Jon

unfamilia

Re: Busy day...
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2001, 09:05:39 AM »
Originally posted by TINDUCK RACING
...Hi all....

been busy today.
  1) took a deep breath and cut wire 53....nothing caught fire or exploded....runs fine.....lost my speed limiter though :D :D :D
  2) ran the diagnostic on the ecu...came up with error 34 - believe it is the knock sensor :( :( :(
HELP!! how serious is this??
  3) reset the ecu and gave the car a damn good tatering round the back roads....now it runs better than it has ever done :)

......but this knock sensor is bothering me....surely the ecu will not know if detonation is occurring....and that can't be good can it??

HELP!!!!

Jon

u gotta have brass ones to cut a wire on your damn ecu... wouldnt see me doing that any day :)

But congrats on losing the 180 limiter :karate:

As for the knock sensor, im sure one of these skyline gurus will come to your rescue.. i would help, but id only be giving you false information :(

TINDUCK RACING

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2001, 09:07:55 AM »
unfamilia: cheers mate....
anyone:   HEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!

TINDUCK RACING

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2001, 09:40:48 AM »
....so, my financially limited quest for power continues...
so far, thanx to a good helping of info from you guys, we have:
1) speed limiter removed       ......cost  0.00
2) new coils ( on warranty)    ......cost  0.00
3) new plugs ( warranty)       ......cost  0.00
4) bleed valve (blagged)        ......cost  0.00
5) boost gauge (direct)          ......cost£15.00
6) HKS cat-back system        ......cost£600.00 (don't tell the missus)

...so, the last one was hardly free, but what the heck...
(bleed valve made from tubing offcuts and a pneumatic valve)

7) next project: pod filter in cold air box.....tkinking a universal 550bhp rated pod at around £40 is a better bet than a HKS one at over £200???....watch this space......

...anyways, I digress..back to that knock sensor......
               HELP!!!
                  cheers,
                       Jon

David Kemps

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2001, 09:41:59 AM »
Tinbuck Racing - you can see which way round the pinouts are when u look at the ecu. good on ya for doing it, wasnt that hard eh? haha

as for the knock sensor, that could be bad, probably has not been working for ages tho but u just noticed it when u ran the diagnostics, so prob not that bad, but id see if u could check the plug going to the knock sensor, sometiimes they come loose.

Unfamilia - i dont think cutting a wire near the ecu is that bad. cause u can always join it back again if something happens. nothing is going to go majorly wrong that u cant fix.

Dave

unfamilia

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2001, 09:43:38 AM »
Originally posted by David Kemps

Unfamilia - i dont think cutting a wire near the ecu is that bad. cause u can always join it back again if something happens. nothing is going to go majorly wrong that u cant fix.

Dave

You're talking to king :king: paranoia buddy, if it can go wrong when doing something, it will go wrong with me :(

TINDUCK RACING

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2001, 09:48:26 AM »
Dave: how's it going??
        ...dumbass question #256....where's the knock sensor?
:homer:
                  cheers,
                       Jon

unfamilia: know what u mean buddy....kinda expecting the tyres to go flat when I cut the wire :D :D :D

unfamilia

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2001, 09:53:15 AM »
Originally posted by TINDUCK RACING
unfamilia: know what u mean buddy....kinda expecting the tyres to go flat when I cut the wire :D :D :D

heh, trust me man, when it comes to cars and modifications, NOTHING has ever been a straight forward install - ALWAYS something gone wrong, not just with me, anything to do with my car(s)  - BD4s, hybrid development, all of em, im telling you im jinxed... hopefully my next purchase of an R32 will be ok (PLEASE DEAR LORD MAKE IT A SWEET CAR WITH NO PROBLEMS!@#@!#!@ )

:D

4Nick8

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2001, 10:00:04 AM »
"...when it comes to cars and modifications, NOTHING has ever been a straight forward install - ALWAYS something gone wrong...."

You wanna try having a car off the road for a full rebuild, I've been without my baby for over 2 years (think it's closer to 4 but I can't remember).

FYI, bought a new knock sensor when I put the motor back in.

MFX_R33

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2001, 10:01:26 AM »
MFX : hi, from what you are saying, have you basically taken the pipes off the factory solenoid, and put them onto the bleed valve( in effect) ? I've left it all as standard, but tapped into the in and out pipes to the solenoid, and basically bridged the bleed across them......have wound it out til it peaks at 10psi....does this seem ok ??

Yeah that sounds like what I have done.
Now for me to cut the infamous wire 53!:eek:

Have heaps of low end and midrange power but I dont think Ive got the fueling right for the top end hence the need for a computer to handle this. The standard r33 has problems with getting enough fuel for high boost levels up to 14lb you really need bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump.

Blue T. Talking to a guy last night about this very problem. Apparently if you install a fuel pressure gauge you should be running about 250kpa (not sure on the units but the figures should be correct). You then get a pair of multi grips and VERY CAREFULLY start to bend in the top of the fuel pressure reg. First one side then the other. You have to be VERY careful as once you have gone too far you cannot go back. Watching the fuel pressure gauge keep going until you get upto 300kpa.

Haven't tried i myself but the guy I was talking to swears by it.

Jeff

unfamilia

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2001, 10:08:48 AM »
Originally posted by MFX_R33

Blue T. Talking to a guy last night about this very problem. Apparently if you install a fuel pressure gauge you should be running about 250kpa (not sure on the units but the figures should be correct). You then get a pair of multi grips and VERY CAREFULLY start to bend in the top of the fuel pressure reg. First one side then the other. You have to be VERY careful as once you have gone too far you cannot go back. Watching the fuel pressure gauge keep going until you get upto 300kpa.

Haven't tried i myself but the guy I was talking to swears by it.

Jeff

backyard mods scare the **** outta me ;)

TINDUCK RACING

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2001, 10:10:29 AM »
4nick: hi mate ...do ya know where this knock sensor is on the engine??

mfx: get that wire cut buddy...what's 250kpa in psi?...this sounds like another potentially classic free mod.....anyone else done it??
(the regulator thingy)

anyways, back to this knock sensor error...is my car gonna explode in the morning or not??  HELP!!!

cheers,
                  Jon

David Kemps

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2001, 10:15:18 AM »
its 36.25psi

MFX_R33

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2001, 10:17:22 AM »
...what's 250kpa in psi?...this sounds like another potentially classic free mod.....anyone else done it??

Can't help you there as I can't remember what exactly the units were (this is sounding dodgier by the minute), could have been kpa, psi, rpm.... I can't remember but the theory is sound basically look at what ever your gauge is reading and increase it by 20%. That's as good as I can do!

Jeff.

David Kemps

Free Horsepower...
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2001, 10:17:51 AM »
your cars not gonna explode or anything, probably has been like that for ages. the knock sensor just senses when the cars detonating so cuts power to stop damage. unless ur car is running high boost or modded, it wont be doing that so just get a new one soon, or check the plug for it.

Dave