Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Mods overkill?  (Read 1467 times)

ph1

Mods overkill?
« on: June 10, 2001, 03:32:20 AM »
rsgalid
(5/19/01 2:43:46 am)
Reply  Mods overkill?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi, I have some (silly?) questions for you Skyliners..

1. Are the NGK RACING SPARK PLUGs same as Nissan platinum plugs (NKG PRF6A-11)? The best on an RB20DET?

2. Does it make sense to install bigger injectors (for future mods) on an almost stock R32/GTSt (only K&N filter and 3' exhaust, so far)? Similarly, is it a mod overkill to install the (higher-rated)Bosch fuel pump on the same car?

3. Can I use the 1997 Supra's injectors on the same car? How about R33-GTR's injectors?

Please.. and Thanks

infofreako
(5/19/01 5:15:16 am)
Reply  re overkill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Fit the fuel pump but i would'nt fit big injectors until you say fit a turbo upgrade you will just flood the engine.

Razor GTSt
(5/19/01 6:20:29 am)
  Re: Mods overkill?
 The plugs are the same as I have in my car right now. I also put them in when the car was stock standard. Good choice. make sure you gap them to 0.8 -0.9mm

Fit the fuel pump. The factory one is chit and odds are it is weak already. The bosch produces up to 100psi and will be fine for 90% of any future mods you intend to do for a street driven GTSt. Your pressure regulator will govern the the flow pressure to the injectors.

You can not up grade your fuel injectors until you do the computer. Since the flow rate is higher yes you will just flood the motor. That and the voltage is different on them and will not either work or work properly. You need top feed injectors for and R32 GTSt, such as R32/R33 GTR injectors. They can be had second hand for $555 - $650. $600 seems to be the norm.

Fitting a bigger turbo is again ok, but I would suggest doing the exhaust, and fuel pump first as you will restrict it pretty hard. Be careful as I began to run out of fuel after my turbo upgrade @5 1/2 psi with the factory fuel pump.

Vincent Sala
SDU Sponsor Liaison
Skylines Downunder Car Club Inc.

GSR32
(5/19/01 8:29:15 pm)
Reply  Re: Mods overkill?
 Well, with all this talk about upgrading the fuel pump, I have been thinking maybe I should, considering I have a larger turbo and all.
Razor - do you think I would need to get Torque Performance to re-map my fuel map etc, after upgrading the fuel pump?

R U NUTS  
(5/19/01 8:39:59 pm)
 hi greg,
there's no harm to get TP remap ur comp/chip. bcoz now u can run more boost with the pump ur gonna fit, mind you your injectors are still restrictive. so i say, just ask robyn @ TP to get the most out of it with all you've got later on.
PS: bigger turbo and pump with std injectors would give you prolly 150-155rwkw. hopefully more.. and i think it would be best to fit an i/c water sprayer considering yours still std i/c, this would help avoid detonation, thus more boost and power of coz. good luck buddy  

R33GTSR
(5/20/01 12:35:44 pm)
Reply  mods
 My 2.2c worth with GST...

Dont change the injectors simply because you have no way of controlling them and thus the car will run like crap. Changing the fuel pump also is not recommended if you infact change it with a unit that flows more because your fuel maps will be affected. Regardless the injectors and the pump in the standard car will deliver at least 190kw@the wheels and this is dyno proven.

The injectors from the GTR do not fit ! They are top feed instead of the side feed for the RB25.

My advice is save for a new turbo, the stock unit is very small and inefficient and there is such a range of turbos you can buy now that are fantastic!

GTS4Boy
(5/20/01 3:31:34 pm)
Reply  Re: mods
 I dont think changing the fuel pump will make any difference to a/f ratios unless you change the fuel pressure regulator and increase the fuel pressure. My 2 cents worth..-HM.

Zapf  
(5/21/01 12:02:19 am)
  Re: mods
 GSR32,
With regards to just changing a fuel pump, if you are going for a aftermarket item then you'll have to fit a adj. fuel pressure regulator as well. And if you make sure you run the same pressure before and after, you'll be fine.
With getting it remaped, you might be able to get a little bit more out of it by doing that, e.g by running higher fuel pressure and getting slightly more out of your injectors...

Cheers
Zapf

R33GTSR
(5/21/01 12:40:20 am)
Reply  RE: Mods
 GTS4Boy,

Last time I changed a pump and left it at that, the car ran richer and needed a little adjustment. This was on a dyno...

R33

sxygtr  
(5/21/01 4:42:52 pm)
  Re: RE: Mods
 GTR injectors for $600?

I sold mine for $200 Aussie pesos...
Too much horsepower is never enough!!!

moondog
(5/21/01 5:19:02 pm)
Reply  Re: GTR injectors
 As I read the posts, it seems they would fit actually. They're top feed, which is what you want for an R32 GTSt. (RB20, not 25)

GSR32
(5/22/01 2:03:46 pm)
Reply  Re: GTR injectors
 Zapf - cheers for that.

Well see how it goes.

BTW - how do people get awesome back fires. I used to get blue flame outs, but don't get them much anymore. Only on a rare occasion.

I want flame outs  They rock. Whats the cheapest way I can achieve this - hehehe

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(5/22/01 2:09:10 pm)
  Re: GTR injectors
 Fit an injector some way down the exhaust i've heard. Activate it off a switch on the dash  

Arithon

TokBoy
(5/22/01 2:19:57 pm)
 Externally venting BOV. My car was poofing and popping like you wouldnt believe when I had it on. Chars the rear bumper a bit though (muffler a bit too short)

sxygtr  
(5/22/01 2:21:17 pm)
 u need a D Luck anti backfire guard then hehehehe
Too much horsepower is never enough!!!

GSR32
(5/22/01 9:00:36 pm)
 Tokboy - external venting BOV??? Did you ever have problems with stalling at lights etc when you had this setup??

I know it's against the rules of owning a turbo, and it's the kind of thing we just don't do, but if I was to turn the boost down (damn it!!), then I would run a little richer, yes?, no?, don't know? Maybe I am running too lean for back fires to occur, due to the new turbo and boost.

Greggiles (absolutley thick and stupid when it comes to technical stuff)

Razor GTSt
(5/22/01 9:27:36 pm)

Vincent Sala
SDU Sponsor Liaison
Skylines Downunder Car Club Inc.

Edited by: Razor GTSt at: 6/8/01 3:17:26 pm

Zapf  
(5/22/01 11:43:07 pm)
 yea, get a externally venting BOV. EIDS. And WOT for a while and then mid throtto it while the car is rolling...

Thats when I notice my flames ususally comes out.

Zapf