Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Value?  (Read 3688 times)

Mr.Owl

Value?
« on: November 12, 2005, 05:47:01 PM »
How is the value of a car in Japan determined? In america there are various guides that determine a value of a car based on its age and condition ect, but does Japan have anything that would help someone determine the fair value of a car?

R32Ninja

Value?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 01:26:02 AM »
Depends, the cosmetic condition of the car, the mechanical wear and tear, aftermarket upgrades, service records, how much shakken is left on the car, and  which seller you buy it from (dealership, garage, auctions, etc..)

sakijo

Value?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 05:02:35 PM »
Quote from: R32Ninja
Depends, the cosmetic condition of the car, the mechanical wear and tear, aftermarket upgrades, service records, how much shakken is left on the car, and  which seller you buy it from (dealership, garage, auctions, etc..)

It also depends on the car's desirability and rarity.  Back in the old days, the Japanese would buy a new car every 2-3 years and their old car would inevitably end up being junked because the Government made it extremely difficult to keep an old car.  This was done primarily to keep the auto industry afloat.  The Government has since loosend up, but the cars are all gone!

Old cars are all the rage now, so they tend to hold value.  For newer cars, once the new/restyled model comes out, the older model is worth very little unless it's a desirable model; say, Skyline GT-R.  We had a Toyota Vitz, a common compact car.  We bought this car new in Dec 2002 for approximately $13,000.  Two and a half years later in April 2005, we sold it to a wholesaler and got $4,000 - and the price was dropping weekly.  The car was practically new, low mileage, 7 months' remaining shaken - why so low?  The newly restyled, slightly larger Vitz had come out.  Our car was old news.

Mr.Owl

Value?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 05:51:17 AM »
So there is no exact guide similar to blue book? is just up to the dealer, auctioneer,ect?  If I owned a car in Japan who would I take it to/how would I find the value.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:09:52 PM by Mr.Owl »

sakijo

Value?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 09:34:56 PM »
Quote from: Mr.Owl
So there is no exact guide similar to blue book? is just up to the dealer, auctioneer,ect?  If I owned a car in Japan who would I take it to/how would I find the value.

Exactly.  If you take it to the dealer, you're almost expected to be buying a replacement car.  Sometimes, you even have to pay the dealer to take the old car off you hands!  My friend has a van that he wants to get rid of, and the dealer said pay us $1,000.00 to junk it or give it to us for free and we'll put it on a boat to Taiwan, Russia, or some other country to be sold there.

A wholesaler would give you the bare minimum price, and you're not expected to buy another car.  But, depending on the car, he may not even make you an offer.

Auctions are not open to the public.  You have to be a member to get into the auction house.  The auctions are mainly for car dealers to get rid of cars they can't/don't want to sell and pick up cars that they may have an "order" for or something that they think they can sell easier.

Almost forgot.  Car Sensor magazine and website lists thousands of ads of cars for sale.  That would probably be the closest thing to a car value guide, but we're talking full retail sale price.

Mr.Owl

Value?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 07:14:36 PM »
Thanks for the help, so this might seem stupid but then why is the GTR (specifically R34) still so expensive in Japan? or am I just looking in the wrong places?

sakijo

Value?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 05:07:55 PM »
Quote from: Mr.Owl
Thanks for the help, so this might seem stupid but then why is the GTR (specifically R34) still so expensive in Japan? or am I just looking in the wrong places?

The R34 GT-R is still worth a lot of money because Nissan stopped making GT-Rs.  The price will drop like a rock once the (rumored) new R35 GT-R hits the streets.

cap

Value?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 12:51:18 AM »
i dont know because ive heard that the new r35 will cost about 250 000  US DOL so that will keep the r34 prices up there

S|8Y

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Value?
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 05:43:18 PM »
its V35...*sigh*

pure_methamphetamachine

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/psyminr34
Value?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 09:30:24 PM »