Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: DOT /SAE Compliant R32 Headlights?  (Read 1624 times)

ImportAutoSource

DOT /SAE Compliant R32 Headlights?
« on: January 27, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »
Hi Folks.

As many of you are aware it is (Was!) easy to register / Drive Skylines in Canada due to our 15yr old Rule.

Well, as many people are starting to find out (The hard way), these cars actually do not comply fully with our Canadian Regulations.

The main problem is the Headlights. As of course, the prisms in the lens sends a large portion of the beam off to the left. (Into oncoming traffic) This is in fact, illegal in canada, and NONE of the skylines should have actually passed inspection. (Of course we have hundreds and hundreds on the road)

My company knew this all along, and we have never imported a Skyline (Or other non-conforming units) for that reason.

Now, these cars are starting to be pulled off the road for non-compliance. So far, the inspecition agencies have been relatively relaxed on this matter, but more and more cars are being pulled off the road. Also, when a car changes provinces, it does not pass the inspection.

What we now have is more Skyline owners finding out they cannot license or drive their vehicles.

To fix this, we need lenses aiming the other way. (And be Stamped DOT or SAE approved) My question is: Has anyone seen such units? How did companies such as Motorex comply Skylines in the US? Would this not be a requirement for the States as well?

Can anyone point me towards these headlights, to help out all of our Skyline owners up North here?

I would be willing to purchase a couple of sets for evaluation immediately, and probably another 100-150 sets shortly thereafter if the quality is good and the price is right.

Thanks in Advance

Jeremy Johnson
Import Auto Source
Saskatoon, SK Canada
(306) 262-2777

Shomei

Compliant Headlights
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »
As far as I know concerning headlights that pass American laws for the Nissan Skyline, there never was one. From what I have gathered about MotoRex, they never really did make their Skylines legal. However I could be wrong and you may want to wait for another reply from another member of this forum. Good luck to you!

ImportAutoSource

DOT /SAE Compliant R32 Headlights?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 04:22:18 AM »
Yeah, this is seeming like the case. I am in the process of developing a set that meet SAE Standards. Of course, this is a somewhat difficult, but moslty expensive process. I was just hoping to be able to buy a bucketload of these lights all ready to go!