Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: knock sensor replacement (R32)  (Read 2459 times)

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
knock sensor replacement (R32)
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
it's easiest if battery is removed and perhaps with fuel filter and lines tucked out of the way.

there are two knock sensors, they are intake side of the engine, very close to the top of the block.
one below #2 injector on the top end of the block & the other below #5. both of them are forward of welch plug and also very slightly forward of the injectors mentioned.

you can't see them as they are buried under the intake and the water pipe/hoses, probably can see the beige/yellow plug with a mirror and a torch.
if you can't find where they are at, start by tracing from the knock sensor loom plug, adjacent to AAC at the aft end of the plenum.

some say it's easiest to get at them from underneath, but i found it impossible to do it, instead it seemed far too easier to reach it from the top.

squeeze the plug to free it from the sensor, might need to pull/pull a few times. it may seem impossible if the orientation of release tabs are top and bottom, as it is very close to the bottom of the manifold & water pipe/hoses, but with perseverance, it will come out. just be careful not to be hasty and ruin the wire just off the plug, because the electrical tape wrapping the wires are dried up and crusty due to heat. the wires are co-ax so more hassle to repair if breaks.

once the plugs are off, use appropriate tools to undo the knock sensors.
for the front one, i used 24mm deep socket and 1/2" ratchet with 10" extension (it could have been Qty x 2, 5" extensions - 1/2" difference in length, which may be crucial, depending on what's there) and a universal joint. for the aft one, combo of 5" & 3" extension worked for me.

installation is obviously reverse - the aft one went in pretty easy but there are what felt like a couple of bosses around the front one, so it took a couple of minutes to screw it in the right one. as i said, just forward of the welch plug.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:56:24 AM by sonoramicommando »

suspect

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spaz.co.nz
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »
Good write up, not that I need to but none the less :P It's always interesting to see how people do things and advised they give so good work.
------------------------------------------------
PROJECT:HYBRID32

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spaz Industries Ltd.
http://www.spaz.co.nz
------------------------------------------------

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
Quote from: sonoramicommando;479861
it's easiest if battery is removed and perhaps with fuel filter and lines tucked out of the way.

there are two knock sensors, they are intake side of the engine, very close to the top of the block.
one below #2 injector on the top end of the block & the other below #5. both of them are forward of welch plug and also very slightly forward of the injectors mentioned.

you can't see them as they are buried under the intake and the water pipe/hoses, probably can see the beige/yellow plug with a mirror and a torch.
if you can't find where they are at, start by tracing from the knock sensor loom plug, adjacent to AAC at the aft end of the plenum.

some say it's easiest to get at them from underneath, but i found it impossible to do it, instead it seemed far too easier to reach it from the top.

squeeze the plug to free it from the sensor, might need to pull/pull a few times. it may seem impossible if the orientation of release tabs are top and bottom, as it is very close to the bottom of the manifold & water pipe/hoses, but with perseverance, it will come out. just be careful not to be hasty and ruin the wire just off the plug, because the electrical tape wrapping the wires are dried up and crusty due to heat. the wires are co-ax so more hassle to repair if breaks.

once the plugs are off, use appropriate tools to undo the knock sensors.
for the front one, i used 24mm deep socket and 1/2" ratchet with 10" extension (it could have been Qty x 2, 5" extensions - 1/2" difference in length, which may be crucial, depending on what's there) and a universal joint. for the aft one, combo of 5" & 3" extension worked for me.

installation is obviously reverse - the aft one went in pretty easy but there are what felt like a couple of bosses around the front one, so it took a couple of minutes to screw it in the right one. as i said, just forward of the welch plug.
Why did you replace them? Do they wear out or did you replace them with a superior type?

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
westybob - didn't see your question til now.
had a tuning problem so i was trying to troubleshoot by process of elimination - it wasn't knock sensors after all.

skylsh32

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
Wow 3 years old lol, I remember reading this post I had to change my knock sensors and getting them off with the engine in the car is a p.i.t.a. my fingers were F'd after that. I think I ended up using some pliers.....

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
^ it's my post so i can resurrect if i want to... lol
yeah it's something i wouldnt want to do it again if i can help it.

skylsh32

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »
Yeah I know I was meaning 3 years has gone by bloody quickly as I remember it quite vividly!

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
3 years? Seems like yesterday!!!