Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: r33 Coupe Build  (Read 45690 times)

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:37 PM »
Yep I'd paint it black. I painted my sway bars and adjustable camber and castor arms black and passed wofs OK for a couple of years before my mods started getting too many!

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
Quote from: andreeee;526550
nice progress.
where did you get that lock bar from and how much if you dont mind?
was it pretty straight forward to chuck it in?

Scarles $119 including gst, Pretty straight forward remove the connectors to the rack, roll back the rubber boots on the tie rod ends and use a large crescent to undo the ends. when they are loose jack the car up put on blocks or axle stands undo the two bolts holding the rack on. Let it drop down and unscrew the tie rod ends, remove the rack and screw the rod ends into each side of the hicas lock bar. Bolt the hicas lock bar on, this may be mission to due force from the opposing wheel, which will probably require you to push on the wheel while trying to get the bar into place once on take it for a alignment.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:42:02 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 05:22:28 AM »
From what I understand, the reason why you need a cert is removing HICAS creates excessive understeer (this should be checked when car is being certed). You probably won't notice it until you go around tight 90 degree corner and car understeers. But that's easily sorted by upgrading rear swaybar.

HICAS is good in theory, bad in practice. A skyline (when setup properly after removing HICAS) handles way better without HICAS and is alot safer in dry, wet conditions.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:25:06 AM by gtsr »

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
Quote from: gtsr;526676
From what I understand, the reason why you need a cert is removing HICAS creates excessive understeer (this should be checked when car is being certed). You probably won't notice it until you go around tight 90 degree corner and car understeers. But that's easily sorted by upgrading rear swaybar.

HICAS is good in theory, bad in practice. A skyline (when setup properly after removing HICAS) handles way better without HICAS and is alot safer in dry, wet conditions.

At the moment even with the stock suspension it still handles like a champ.

So the car's in the shop today it was suppose to have the front left uca bush's replaced upon pulling them out and inspecting for any wear/cracks they look to be fine. A rather odd experience never the less shes on her way for a alignment tomorrow. Once the alignment is complete I will take the factory pipe off the standard side mount and get a vac pipe welded onto it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:54:31 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
More progress on the car, so its been taken for a alignment today. While the alignment was being done we checked the left hand front wheel for any signs of a knock or loose parts. It seems that since the mechanic has taken apart all the suspension arms and given them a clean and put them all back together. The arm's are now stable and aren't knocking when attempted to be moved while on the jack. Looking at the graphs for the alignment I expected the rears to be toe in, sure enough the back was toe in by quite a lot. So she's all straight now and handling much better.

When I head out soon to get some tools to bung this fmic in while I'm out I will buy a pod filter.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a pre-fabricated cold airbox for this pod filter or if anyone can make me one?

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
Save your money and get a highflow filter for the stock air box!

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
Quote from: westybob;527013
Save your money and get a highflow filter for the stock air box!

I wasn't planning on removing the stock airbox as it gets rammed with cold air off the airo dam. How ever I have decided to replace the airbox with a pod filter, the airbox does have a high flow k&n filter already. The sole reason for me replacing the airbox is so I can mount the pod filter where the standard side mount was, there for its getting cold air all the time. The only down side to this is it could get considerably dirty.

So the pod filter is in and mounted onto the AFM with the stock bracket out of the airbox, with the pod filter in it has a really good suck to it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:13:27 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
Installation of 6x9 Speakers
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »
Getting the pod filter in was the easy part of my day. Upon going out to get this filter I decided I would get 6x9 speakers for the back. So I took the back sill out and unbolted the factory speakers from the car which where completely destroyed, cones cracked and holes in the cones as well. Little did I know I was about to have a mission to get these speakers in place due to the wheel arch's being so far up there isn't any clearance for the 6x9 speakers with the sill in. In the end I made some spacers which soon after I painted black its good enough for now
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:14:04 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
Quote from: gtsr;526676

Nothing a good old dirty clutch kick can't fix, if shes to tight work her harder :laugh:

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »
Ok so little progress has been made this week due to work being so busy, I haven't even had time to put the front mount in. This week I plan on using my days off to take the car for a long awaited tint come Thursday. Tomorrow I will take the speakers out of the back and fabricate the brackets in felt, not only will I do that but will also have to cover the holes in the sill with either felt or rubber bungs. All up I'm trying to get this car looking respectable by the 4th of Feb.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:32:43 PM by SlaterRacingNZ »

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
Quote from: godly25det;527432
Nothing a good old dirty clutch kick can't fix, if shes to tight work her harder :laugh:

Can on racetrack. But if cop sees you on road, can get fined for loss of traction.

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
Tints are on and looking good, little progress has been made on the fmic as I do not have the tools to cut the hole for the pipe. How ever I have mounted the new alloy radiator which looks pretty sweet, all that is left is to hurry up and get this fmic in.

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
More progress on the car.

And here is a quick picture of the mags I've just had put on today.

All I need to do now is get my front and rear guards rolled.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:27:39 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »

GETLOW

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
It looks like its coming on pretty good and fast.

Have you thought about getting some factory skirts?
1JZ VVTI R33 using a custom RB25DET gearbox (almost running)

Shred Motorsport
67 Pharazyn Street
Lower Hutt, Wellington
http://www.SHREDMOTORSPORT.co.nz
(04) 569 7469

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Quote from: GETLOW;528038
It looks like its coming on pretty good and fast.

Have you thought about getting some factory skirts?

Yeah I thought about that today, would really be good if I could find some before it gets taken in for guard rolling.

If anyone knows where I can find some skirts for a good price I'd greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:28:43 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »