Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: r33 Coupe Build  (Read 45693 times)

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
Engine Bays Complete
« Reply #750 on: May 30, 2016, 10:02:55 PM »
Ended up making some brackets for the Pod Filters.
Then prep'd both the top radiator support & brackets for paint, cleaned it all down with prepsol and gave it a nice new gloss coat.

Only thing that's left to do in the engine bay is:
-Bonnet Risers
-Catch Can & Washer Bottle

I found there was an issue with the MRP sandwich Plate, that it was making contact with the factory oil pressure solenoid block.
So I just ended up shaving the side down slightly, and reassembling all the lines again which stopped the oil leak.
Further more I've replaced the fuel pump with an aeromotive one, and finally installed a boost gauge.

Plan is to replace my nzkw bucket seat with a bride, so both seats will match each other.
And also make a new gauge mount for below the head deck.
Including fit an amp for the rear 6x9's, and wire in a hidden electronic exhaust valve switch.

Other than that minor stuff, I just need to fit the body panels back up.
And give the car a full cut and polish, and then it'll finally be ready to show it's face on the street again.

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
Rebuild V3.0 Complete
« Reply #751 on: July 13, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
Hi Guys.

Been a little bit busy around my neck of the woods lately, but I'm happy to announce that the rebuild is now complete.
Both skirts and the bumper have been reglassed and painted, and also the left front fender pressure crack repaired and painted.

My buddy from Final touch spent a solid day on the car, so it looks a million bucks now. (Wet Sand, Cut\Polish & Paint Protection)
After many years of driving it like I stole it, she certainly well earned some body repairs.

Moving on from the cosmetics it was time to address the braking issue.
Some may remember quite some time back I planned to install a bm57 brake master cylinder & braided lines, but wasn't to comfortable remaking my lines.
Well fingers crossed after finally reflaring the lines myself, that they never leak or cause any problems. (Touch Wood)
After spending a bit of time in the silvia which had a bm57 and braided lines, I'd grown used to liking how stiff the brake pedal was.
That and after hammering on the brakes in the skyline for several laps, the brake fluid would boil due to only using dot4 fluid.

Here's how the old BMC lines were configured:

Here's the progress of reconfiguring the lines & bleeding the cylinder:

Then it was onto replacing all the rubber lines with the new braided ones.
Admittedly I wish the front lines had an additional mount, that could be bolted to the uprights.
I may even go back over the setup and make an additional mount, just to ensure the lines don't snag or rub on the sway bar.

The rear lines could also do with an additional mount, to ensure they don't get snagged or rub on anything over time.
Now that it's got me thinking about it, I'll probably just do it anyway just for some peace of mind.

During the rebuild I also decided to fit an aeromotive 320lph silent pump, as I'd grown tired of how loud the old r32 gtr pump was.
Now I'd always had issues with overfueling at startup, but since fitting this pump it made it even more obvious.
After fowling a set of plugs numerous times (Literally Wet), I came to the conclusion that the factory fpr couldn't handle the extra load.

Throughout the fuel system there used to be 3 regulators on the return side.
One on the factory pump & fuel rail, and one on the return line between the rail and Pump.

So the factory fuel pump reg is now gone, and I also removed the reg from between the pump and rail and replaced it with straight line.

Since I had a genuine Tomei FPR laying around I installed it with a Redline Performance Tomei fuel rail adapter.
Then adjusted the idle pressure to 3 bar with the vacuum line off, and confirmed it to drop down to 2.5 bar at idle with the vacuum hooked up.

So the old plugs were thrown in the bin and then a good set of Platinums chucked in that I had laying around.
And lo and behold for the first time ever the car has fired up and idled happily, including run flawless on numerous occasions already.

It's time to draw your attention to the elephant in the room, that be the huge catch can and washer bottle combo!
I'm Extremely happy with Brendon's work from BNR Engineering in Drury, his fabrication work is unlike any other in the business.

Both rocker cover's had speedflow -12 fittings press fit, and for cert reasons we plumbed in the pcv valve as well.
While the bodykit was all being redone I'd also had some gas struts fitted, and omg that is by the best mod I've ever done.

And without further ado here is the complete engine bay:

All in all I'm extremely happy with how it's all turned out, and given the chance I'd do it all over again.
There are still little things I'd like to do like Replace the windscreen rubbers, and touch up some engine bay paint here and there.
But the overall package is exactly what I've been after for years, and should finally be reliable for every day use.

If anyone would like to check out more of Brendon's fabrication, then head along to: https://www.facebook.com/BNREngineering/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:55:52 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: r33 Coupe Build
« Reply #752 on: July 13, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »
Put a BM57 in my heavy C34 Stagea with a set of 8 pot 330mm D2s in the front with Pagid pads and GTR brakes in the rear  - used dot 4 fluid but there is a range of temp ratings available - I had Motul RBF 600 and you can now buy RBF660 both of which have a boiling point higher than the standard for 5.1

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
« Reply #753 on: July 14, 2016, 05:53:33 AM »
Put a BM57 in my heavy C34 Stagea with a set of 8 pot 330mm D2s in the front with Pagid pads and GTR brakes in the rear  - used dot 4 fluid but there is a range of temp ratings available - I had Motul RBF 600 and you can now buy RBF660 both of which have a boiling point higher than the standard for 5.1

Ended up splashing out on several bottles of the rbf 600 a while back, so had a spare few laying around to use on the skyline.
Really good quality stuff, and would be impressed if someone managed to boil that fluid lol.

Hows your car going bob? haven't seen you out there beating on it in a while....

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 14, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »
Hit hard times so sadly sold it to some fellow Westies who wrapped it around a tree :(
So saving up to start again - probably with an M35 this time :-\

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
« Reply #755 on: July 15, 2016, 07:20:57 AM »
Hit hard times so sadly sold it to some fellow Westies who wrapped it around a tree :(
So saving up to start again - probably with an M35 this time :-\

Oh man...... Really sorry to hear :( That stag was totally badass.
What's your plans for the M35?

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 15, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »
No 1 is getting one then I'll report back on what I'm doing rather than on what I'm gonna do!

SlaterRacingNZ

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • Slater Racing NZ
Forgot some Stuff
« Reply #757 on: July 19, 2016, 12:42:12 AM »
Tucked away an amp in the boot a well, tried to do a clean install unlike those I've done in the past.

You wouldn't even know there was one there:

Threw in a driver Bride bucket seat to match the passenger side as well:

Also made a head deck blank off panel for some gauges as well:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:57:38 AM by SlaterRacingNZ »