Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Off Topic Problems-please read  (Read 6919 times)

R33_400R

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Off Topic Problems-please read
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:35:01 AM »
Due to the high number of issues the "Off Topic" section is causing, and people who are just not behaving themselfs, we are on the edge of locking it down to paid members only and not having any area for Jokes, News and such.

This is a seriours warning everyone, if this doesn't get sorted it will end badly and the few causing issues will be in alot of peoples bad books, like "boy racers" the few stuff it for the rest.

We dont want to lock it but all the Mods are over the drama its causing.

Respect the forums and the rules and we wont have to lock it.

Thanks guys

Tony
Ex President/Admin/Moderator

If You Can't Find It.....Grind It

"Player In Management Profession-------PIMP"

Tony@SkylinesDownUnder.Com

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:01 AM »
I think bannings and infractions for members causing the drama would be a better idea.

You shouldnt kill the joke, news etc because they help keep the lighter side of life going. Lots of positive interactions happen on those sort of threads. Cant exactly have a laugh or read something interesting all the time in technical threads.
Im glad we have the off-topic section because there are some really awesome things posted up.
Shouldnt kill it just because a few people cant handle themselves.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:36 AM »
That ^^^ sounded smart, so +1
Not taking sides Tony, but hes got a point :) I don't wanna lose some areas of discussion for the sake of the minority

also..... I have a feeling I missed something that happened lol

SkylineObsession

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:04 AM »
(in my opinion, which doesnt count for much) the warnings/infractions/bannings etc should be the first choice, but if that doesn't solve the problem then locking it to unpaid members would be the next best thing. And if that doesn't solve if then some of those paid up members should loose priviledges.

As above i'm not saying how to run this place, its perhaps just a better way of managing the problem since its mainly just a handful of people causing the ruckus. Kinda like the whole boyracer/car enthusiast issue really, but thats on a much bigger scale.

And you did BADHAB|T. Was a genuine topic to start out with then turned into a slightly heated argument between about three or so members. Again. Won't elaborate further though.

D1LEMA

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:41:54 AM »
Quote from: b00stinz;532897
I think bannings and infractions for members causing the drama would be a better idea.

You shouldnt kill the joke, news etc because they help keep the lighter side of life going. Lots of positive interactions happen on those sort of threads. Cant exactly have a laugh or read something interesting all the time in technical threads.
Im glad we have the off-topic section because there are some really awesome things posted up.

+1 boostinz ...well said.

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »
yep +1 on that, ban the people for a certain amount of time if they cant follow the rules
then when they get back they can either behave themselves or be permanantly banned.
www.nzprojectcars.com
NZ's newest dedicated project car forum

daniel23a

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
is it possible just to ban people from different parts of the forum (not sure how these things work...)

Harley

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • WD - No bullshit ISP
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »
As per usual, we will not close down the forum straight away, we will warn users first.

It is the same old issue, a small group of people ruin it for the rest.

R33_400R

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
Quote from: b00stinz;532897

We understand where your coming from and we are in the middle of dealing with everything, but what is getting away on the Mods is the off topic grows so fast we miss alot of what happens, there are a few good people who report things but please remember if its gets reported dont expect something to be done in 2mins as we can not live on here to keep people in line, eg. dont report at 11pm and want us to jump as 9/10 times we wont get it untill the morrning.
its a last resort but if things are not kept under control then it will happen, if people see it getting out of control report and then post telling people to settle and get on topic.

Quote from: SkylineObsession;532904
(in my opinion, which doesnt count for much) the warnings/infractions/bannings etc should be the first choice, but if that doesn't solve the problem then locking it to unpaid members would be the next best thing. And if that doesn't solve if then some of those paid up members should loose priviledges.

As above i'm not saying how to run this place, its perhaps just a better way of managing the problem since its mainly just a handful of people causing the ruckus. Kinda like the whole boyracer/car enthusiast issue really, but thats on a much bigger scale.

And you did BADHAB|T. Was a genuine topic to start out with then turned into a slightly heated argument between about three or so members. Again. Won't elaborate further though.

Thanks for the ideas but you have outlined exactly how we run the forums, the people in question have been or are beeing delt with but as you should know not in the veiw of everyone else. but once again alot of people seem to think we live here and only here and if they say jump we should, if there is a problem report it and we will deal with it as soon as some one gets on and has the time to go over it all. but we ask people not to add to it by "yelling" or getting nasty back just post "stay on topic".

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:24 AM »
Why don't you just recruit more mods to manage it? Or ban certain users from certain forums.

Also, on top of that, isn't off topic just a forum for spam and just general spam. Or create a forum for that? People are going to do it, but at least if you give them somewhere to do it, it'd be a little less annoying on the people who want to continue on with general discussion etc
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:21:43 AM by ibb& »
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

Garage Stalk3r official cleaning lady

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »
they shouldnt have to recruit more mods because it shouldnt happen in the first place
www.nzprojectcars.com

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »
Quote from: andreeee;532925
they shouldnt have to recruit more mods because it shouldnt happen in the first place

Shouldn't happen yes. But based upon the same theory we shouldn't need police because people shouldn't be commuting crimes.

But they do, so you've got to manage that.

It's not about stopping it - it's about managing it and discouraging it (e.g. police to stop crime, prisons and courts to discourage it - mods to stop spam, different penalties to manage it)
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:23 AM »
yeh you got a point there.
but were talking about pointless bickering that most of us can manage not to take part of.
its not hard, some people just feel the need to keep going on and fighting back..
www.nzprojectcars.com

R33_400R

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »
The off topic section is very open and has its own set of rules but the problems are forum fights, regardless of anything if you throw insults around you will be punished as its breaking the rules, all we ask is dont add to the problem, report it, if you guys want it help keep the ones who cause issues in check and it wont come to the lock down.

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
Quote from: R33_400R;532929
The off topic section is very open and has its own set of rules but the problems are forum fights, regardless of anything if you throw insults around you will be punished as its breaking the rules, all we ask is dont add to the problem, report it, if you guys want it help keep the ones who cause issues in check and it wont come to the lock down.

Majority of those fights are actually fun though - I can speak for a few of us that none of us mean any harm in the bickering, and are pretty good mates when it comes to seeing irl. We just like a bit of a laugh and to throw around an insult here or there. Not that it means anything.

Only issue is when other people get involved yeah lol.

But personally, either give us somewhere to do it (e.g. create a general spam and argument thread - most forums have one) or recruit more mods and wipe it out completely - from my experience there's a few people (including me) who are on this forum ALOT of the time. I spend majority of my time just clicking it looking for new posts.
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!