Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Off Topic Problems-please read  (Read 6866 times)

R33_400R

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Off Topic Problems-please read
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 09:44:49 AM »
and i am the same ibb& but you done see me fighting away, the aim is to attract new members and sponsors and its a extreamly bad look for some to sign up wanting a insite before they sponsor the club and see crap like fight and childish behavior going on, i know i would turn around and take my money else where, at the end of the day if you guys dont want to lose it change the way you post in it, as we have made the call if it does not change then we will lock it.
Ex President/Admin/Moderator

If You Can't Find It.....Grind It

"Player In Management Profession-------PIMP"

Tony@SkylinesDownUnder.Com

Skyla

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
There are people on here of all sorts of ages and back grounds what can be fun for a few people (that obviously know each other and taking the p1ss so to speak) can be deemed down right offenisve to others.
We are a community of many and it only takes a few to start degrading the content of the forums.
R33 GTS25, the 121rwkw 16 sec 1/4 mile whale snail

Taupo track 1, 1.56 (A1GP)
Taupo Track 2, 1.23
Taupo track 3, 47.89
Taupo track 4, 2.02
Manfeild, 1.30
Pukekohe, 1.17
Hampton Downs, 1.25

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »
Quote from: R33_400R;532935
and i am the same ibb& but you done see me fighting away, the aim is to attract new members and sponsors and its a extreamly bad look for some to sign up wanting a insite before they sponsor the club and see crap like fight and childish behavior going on, i know i would turn around and take my money else where, at the end of the day if you guys dont want to lose it change the way you post in it, as we have made the call if it does not change then we will lock it.

I won't argue policy with ya, I'll leave that up to you guys..

IS there the possibility of giving it somewhere to happen? Maybe considering upgrading to a newer version of phpBB which would allow user groups and then message boards within them. People who want to bicker and fight could go somewhere.

I know from experience there's a WSC (wellington spam crew) in NZHondas.com where they can pretty much just spam and rant and go crazy privately. Not sure if that helps, but I guess it kinda keeps general bickering and fighting off the NZHondas forum - which if you look has about 10 sponsors and a pretty clean forum.

If not, creating a limited spam thread - where you have to sign up to see it and be a part of it - those who are offended or sponsors can be disallowed but those who want to go off and do that can do it.

Similar to executives rooms - but maybe for "Forum Members" or even "SDU members" - with a spam area in there just because it's not always a bad thing to have a bit of squabbling and fighting - gets it off our chest - there just needs to be a place which isn't public facing where we risk the loss of members and sponsors, along with risking offending people in just random threads. If there's a dedicated area - people will know what they're getting themselves into.

This is just how I'd do it - not saying it's the way to go.

Also like to mention the average age group and stuff like that of majority of Skyline owners - not trying to be a dick, but the majority of them aren't 40 year old mature adults - they're kids/teens/young adults aged ~18-25 (or like 14 in r33pers case haha) - just try to suit your target audience - as you probably won't be attracting the numbers you would like if this forum turns into something that's disgustingly strick and just a load of guys with a rod up their *** - but on the other hand, we don't want it to be an all spam utter sh!thole.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:52:34 AM by ibb& »
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

Garage Stalk3r official cleaning lady

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
The fights now arent for 'fun'. They arent even civilised arguments most times. They start of as them, and then turn to petty insults and arguments.

They are one person trying to convince others that their word is fact. It's also annoying reading the same thing over and over just written differently.

I for one will be reporting threads as soon as I see they may be going off track, to allow moderators to keep an eye on the quite early on.

When your car has a dirty pod filter you dont replace the whole intake system do you. You replace the filter.

Remove the dirt. Improve the system.

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »
Quote from: b00stinz;532955
The fights now arent for 'fun'.

I'll stop you right there and say they are. Maybe not for you, but for those involved they are.
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

daniel23a

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
lol, nice analogy boosty

Quote from: b00stinz;532955

When your car has a dirty pod filter you dont replace the whole intake system do you. You replace the filter.

Remove the dirt. Improve the system.

R33_400R

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 11:32:08 AM »
look end of the day if you want to fight there is somewhere for you to do it, and on your screen you will see a little link in the top right called "Private Messages" so use it, that way its out of the public veiw, we will not be making a "crap" area for people just to fight, SDU is open to everyone regadless of age and that what we cater for, SDU is and always will be aimed as a family friendly club, the club has been around for longer than alot of you know and has always been aimed at a place you would be happy to bring kids and that is not going to change!

P.s Thanks for understanding Boosty :D

Ultimategtr

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »
I'd have to say I agree with Tony.
A bit of giggling/bickering is okay to a certin extent, but not pages and pages of it. I personally, dont want to log on once a week or so, to find loads of new threads, which in fact are a waste of time, but not to the once involved in the threads.

After all, SDU is a club which is represented in the community. Seeing pages of useless bickering just sets a bad image of us to potential paying customers. Back in the days, I used to enjoy coming on SDU, thats when I used to pay for membership. Nowadays every thread is going, or is ready to shoot off in a tangent. Puts me off personally, but thats my opinion.

I think its about time action was taken. Getting rather sick of seeing a bunch of keyboard warriors battling it on. From memory, I dont recall threads turning to custard all the time in the past.. It was a few posts, but it was soon straightened up.

SkylineObsession

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
Quote from: R33_400R;532918
Thanks for the ideas but you have outlined exactly how we run the forums, the people in question have been or are beeing delt with but as you should know not in the veiw of everyone else. but once again alot of people seem to think we live here and only here and if they say jump we should, if there is a problem report it and we will deal with it as soon as some one gets on and has the time to go over it all. but we ask people not to add to it by "yelling" or getting nasty back just post "stay on topic".

Yeah sorry, i'd just finally had enough of it to 'blow my top'. :(

And ibb&, as others have said - Private Messages are the best place for 'just for fun' arguments. I also don't think a forum especially for it would be a good idea, cos its not going to stop the problem obviously. There's millions of other forums on the net and its not very hard to set up your own forum (i've had my own forums since about 2001, of all sorts like EzBoard, IkonBoard and phpBB...) if you just want to converse with others that way.

Forums without bikering and arguments are actually a very nice place to be and you actually want to go back and see what people are saying - i know from personal experience and others can back me up on this too.

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 09:29:34 AM »
Quote from: SkylineObsession;533108
Yeah sorry, i'd just finally had enough of it to 'blow my top'. :(

And ibb&, as others have said - Private Messages are the best place for 'just for fun' arguments. I also don't think a forum especially for it would be a good idea, cos its not going to stop the problem obviously. There's millions of other forums on the net and its not very hard to set up your own forum (i've had my own forums since about 2001, of all sorts like EzBoard, IkonBoard and phpBB...) if you just want to converse with others that way.

Forums without bikering and arguments are actually a very nice place to be and you actually want to go back and see what people are saying - i know from personal experience and others can back me up on this too.

Private messages only allow 2 people to converse. Hence the use of a forum.

Forums can - I'm not doubting that - but then it can go the otherway and make it boring for some to the point they don't want to return.. I'm just trying to say we should cater to all target audiences - as a skyline owner is a skyline owner.. right?
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »
also, just cause admins read this:

http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59540

Chnages To Forums

Can someone fix this. I see it every time I refresh the forum and it pisses me off.
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

R33_400R

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
ok well i can say that there will NOT be a area made just for people to stir s**t in and fight so you can push that till you blue in the face that is one thing that will NOT happen on this forum.

and what needs changing in that link? it shows up due to nothing else has been posted in that area, what needs fixing nothing is broken.

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Quote from: R33_400R;533197
ok well i can say that there will NOT be a area made just for people to stir s**t in and fight so you can push that till you blue in the face that is one thing that will NOT happen on this forum.

and what needs changing in that link? it shows up due to nothing else has been posted in that area, what needs fixing nothing is broken.

The title is spelt wrong lol

That's your choice, I was just voicing my opinion.
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
Oh thank god it's fixed. Thanks. Just a major pet peeve :\ my damn ocd.
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »
Quote from: ibb&;532933
Majority of those fights are actually fun though - I can speak for a few of us that none of us mean any harm in the bickering, and are pretty good mates when it comes to seeing irl. We just like a bit of a laugh and to throw around an insult here or there. Not that it means anything.

Only issue is when other people get involved yeah lol.

But personally, either give us somewhere to do it (e.g. create a general spam and argument thread - most forums have one) or recruit more mods and wipe it out completely - from my experience there's a few people (including me) who are on this forum ALOT of the time. I spend majority of my time just clicking it looking for new posts.

the forum is for everyone - if some people who are friends in real life want to take a piss and joke on each other, they should do it in their own place, not here at SDU forum.

and you can't just give any old person a mod status - it's gotta be someone who can handle the responsibilities, is cool-headed and unbiased.

I've seen the damage caused by not-up-to-par mods at other forums.