Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Why is a raven like a writing desk? HELP!!!!!!!  (Read 2690 times)

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Why is a raven like a writing desk? HELP!!!!!!!
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
Ok new to all this (not the bloody forum as im a mod on other sites)

I have been having issues with my RB25DE (its a F@#king ***).:splat:
I bought an import R33 S2 RB25DE second hand 210,000km and the following issues have arrived ( any info would be greatly appreciated)
1, First problem was surging at stops breaking (as in the car lurching forward like a cougar wanting to take a bite out of the car in front of me)

2, After replacing the rear breaks for a WOF (it still persisted) Might have helped if i bleed the breaks afterwards.

3, The car now wont idle smooth eg, idles about 900RPM Lumpy then drops to About 500RPM and dies (still lumpy idle right up to 1500PRM)- Cleaned MAF and AAC Cant find a vacuum leak but im sure i can hear one over the MAF poddy. About where the AAC is located.
Being a series 2 there is no O2 sensor that im aware of.
Also if the car is driven under load it is sluggish and bogs down (lifting off the gas alleviates this untill applied again 1st Gear - runs ok above 1000RPM but still sluggish)

OK things i have tried:
1, Engine running and TPS unplugged - idle increase then returns to normal lumpy idle after 3-4 seconds dies once it hits the 500rpm again
2, removed and cleaned AAC with carby cleaner and allowed to air dry
3, removed MAF cleaned sensor with carby cleaner allowed to air dry - Pulled apart MAF and reflowed the solder joints.
4, Checked for vac leaks - cant find any however there are cracks in my cam breather hose right by the clamps.
5, Will be earthing out the fuel pump to make it run constant and replacing injectors with red tops.
6, will be replacing TPS when i find one
7, engine running and unplugged AAC car starves but runs if i hold the idle at 1000RPM (no increase or decrease in idle)
8, engine dies with MAF unplugged (no increase or decrease in idle)

any ideas as in clueless now:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:46:27 PM by Neobomb »

Pandaemonaeon

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
I doubt that it wouldn't have an O2 sensor from factory.
Even if there should be one, the fact that it isn't plugged in shouldn't be creating that issue though.
pure methamphatamachine

Team Sleeper

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
like i said new to the RB scene i honestly cant find one

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »
When o2 sensor is unplugged, stock ECU should go into open loop (fuel map only).

TPS can be a cause of missing at idle and engine stalling. That's if it's not touching idle contact inside TPS. Idle contact makes ECU switch to idle tables. Sometimes can wiggle TPS plug and engine stumbles or stalls when at idle.

Airleak just behind AFM (loose intake hose clamp on AFM) can make the engine miss / stutter, similar to faulty coilpack miss when running on 5 cylinders. Also engine is sluggish when accelerating (ECU could switch to knock maps which can stop engine accelerating in midrange) if engine is missing. I would check coilpacks on bench and check for airleaks near AFM.

Another cause of weird missing is intake manifold leak (blown gasket). But that usually happens on turbo engines.

The manual with how to check coilpacks on bench, check error codes on ECU, etc can be bought from here -

http://www.jpnz.co.nz/afawcs0131170/CATID=24/SUBID=273/page=1/products.html

You shouldn't clean AFM with carby cleaner, as it damages the AFM sensor.

CRC MAF cleaner is what you use -

http://www.crc.co.nz/Automotive-Cleaners--Degreasers-Automotive-Cleaners/p1/Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Cleaner-i4e893416-ea9f-49c3-acee-0081ef6e9f4d-6782.htm

You unplug AFM then start engine. That eliminates AFM as a cause. Don't do it while engine is idling. You'll need to remove negative terminal on battery, press brakes to remove any left over charge, reconnect negative terminal to reset ECU (remove AFM error code) after plugging AFM back in.

Also I would pull sparkplugs, check condition of them (when you check coilpacks), as they could be the cause of coilpack failing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:32:01 PM by gtsr »

D1LEMA

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
Afm ? .....

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
Thanks for that man ill look into all that today

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
O2 sensor should be on the front pipe could be hard to see. Could be afm needs resoldering. Could be lack of fuel as you say but might be new pump rather than just earth! If you can't get access to a fuel pressure gauge maybe try a known good pump. Replace fuel filter in engine bay and may be cr@p in tank. Get a new set of copper plugs.

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
Yeah i think i found it just by the first exhaust flange? just in front of it?

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »
Quote from: westybob;583124
O2 sensor should be on the front pipe could be hard to see. Could be afm needs resoldering. Could be lack of fuel as you say but might be new pump rather than just earth! If you can't get access to a fuel pressure gauge maybe try a known good pump. Replace fuel filter in engine bay and may be cr@p in tank. Get a new set of copper plugs.

Thanks man i think i found it just before the first exhaust flange/joint.
Im of two minds on the pump as the car is fine if i button off the throttle, Just wont idle right, Reflowed the maf/afm which is resoldering the joints with a heat gun until the solder melts and of course using flux to make it stick.

Ill try the filter anyone know what they are worth?

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
Quote from: gtsr;583104
When o2 sensor is unplugged, stock ECU should go into open loop (fuel map only).

TPS can be a cause of missing at idle and engine stalling. That's if it's not touching idle contact inside TPS. Idle contact makes ECU switch to idle tables. Sometimes can wiggle TPS plug and engine stumbles or stalls when at idle.

Airleak just behind AFM (loose intake hose clamp on AFM) can make the engine miss / stutter, similar to faulty coilpack miss when running on 5 cylinders. Also engine is sluggish when accelerating (ECU could switch to knock maps which can stop engine accelerating in midrange) if engine is missing. I would check coilpacks on bench and check for airleaks near AFM.

Another cause of weird missing is intake manifold leak (blown gasket). But that usually happens on turbo engines.

The manual with how to check coilpacks on bench, check error codes on ECU, etc can be bought from here -

http://www.jpnz.co.nz/afawcs0131170/CATID=24/SUBID=273/page=1/products.html

You shouldn't clean AFM with carby cleaner, as it damages the AFM sensor.

CRC MAF cleaner is what you use -

http://www.crc.co.nz/Automotive-Cleaners--Degreasers-Automotive-Cleaners/p1/Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Cleaner-i4e893416-ea9f-49c3-acee-0081ef6e9f4d-6782.htm

You unplug AFM then start engine. That eliminates AFM as a cause. Don't do it while engine is idling. You'll need to remove negative terminal on battery, press brakes to remove any left over charge, reconnect negative terminal to reset ECU (remove AFM error code) after plugging AFM back in.

Also I would pull sparkplugs, check condition of them (when you check coilpacks), as they could be the cause of coilpack failing.

http://free-pdf-ebook.com/2009/01/19/nissan-skyline-r33-repair-manual/     FREE

Zangetsu

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »
Quote from: Neobomb;583133
Ill try the filter anyone know what they are worth?

30-40 from Repco.

Stalk3r

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
Quote from: Neobomb;583134
 FREE

encouraging theft/piracy is in clear violation of forum rules, if i see it again you will face infractions and or removal, i have edited your post to reflect this

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »
Quote from: Stalk3r;583141
encouraging theft/piracy is in clear violation of forum rules, if i see it again you will face infractions and or removal, i have edited your post to reflect this

Actually there is nothing to reflect the comment i made as its free information from another site, and doesn't involve theft of any kind, Piracy is also not an issue as its compilation of data that serves a purpose and is in PDF form.

Just because one site charges for free information does not warrant theft other than the person charging for the information freely available from other sources.

Also remove me if you wish to i doesn't bother me, as there are thousands upon thousands of forums with this information available
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:47:37 PM by Neobomb »

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
I like this new guy

Neobomb

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Quote from: b00stinz;583154
I like this new guy

Lol looks like i wont be here long if i speak my mind. Ya know freedom of speech lol:D

On another note i did manage to fix my issue somewhat by earthing out my Fuel pump and the skidda seems to be holding its own for now.

Still got the dodgy idle