Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: PlayStation 3  (Read 2179 times)

Demco

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
So guys i don't know how many of you are into fixing / repairing / modding consoles but ill give it on a shot

but Ive just pulled my fat 40gb PS3 apart to fix the Yellow Light Of Death

Im about to re flow the mother board but noticed this has slight burn marks Im wondering is it worth re flowing it or should i just replace the mother board while its apart.

♜♞♝♛[Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4]♚♝♞♜[/b]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ARRRHHH THUUURRRTYYY TWOOO
Progress 98%

[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/COLOR] || ]

Osiris09

• SDU Member
  • RB25DET
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
If it doesnt work chuck it in the oven and reflow it. Are you losing anything if it doesnt work anyway?? I know when i did a laptop in the oven it worked perfectly again and stagefumer has also had experience with it. the burns are a little worrying but a guys ps3 from work has failed 4 times now and he just reflows everytime. worth a shot anyway

Demco

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:10:58 AM »
I was just going to use my heat gun at 350c is using a oven better?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Progress 98%

[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/COLOR] || ]

Osiris09

• SDU Member
  • RB25DET
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
I'm not sure what stage would say but when I did my laptop it was 197 degrees for 7.5mins. Just means you get an even heating. There are a few instuctions online. When I get home I will c if I can find the one I used.

nathan1017

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »
ive got a guy who dose it for $120 in auckland and puts a new warinty sticker on it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](resident sdu joker)
Quote from: CleanR33;592594
I just want to slam a dictionary into his face..

StageFumer11

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
PlayStation 3
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »
Yup, easy job, chuck it on the over for 10mins, at 200deg cel. no hotter!.. Chips fall off!. haha i did find out the hard way. Take anything off that is plastic or removable.

If you can, Find reflow flux, This will help the process big time, and put that under and around the Processor and vid side. That will add flux to help it bond again. You can do it a few times without it. But each time the flux fades
1985 R30 Skyline Coupe

StageFumer11

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
PlayStation 3
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »
Make sure its sitting solder side up. Use tin foil balls to support it and make sure nothing is touching your baking tray, Warn the missis as there will be a stench
1985 R30 Skyline Coupe

Osiris09

• SDU Member
  • RB25DET
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »
^^^^ as above and there is heaps of info online. when i did mine i stuck it on an oven tray propped it up at the corners with rolled up balls of tin foil. make sure they are not touching the solder. these balls make sure it doesnt stick to the tray and make sure its level or the solder will flow away to places you dont want it. And if its anything like mine it may stink quite alot. I remember my instructions said when the time limit is reached just turn the oven off and let it cool down for a while before moving it as the solder has to reset and moving it early may cause the solder to flow where you dont want it to as well. Apart from that it is simple and everything i have tried has worked so far. And if it doesnt work for you, there is always the option of making a blueray laser lighter to light things on fire. which is cool. haha. because its a laser. there is info on making these on youtube.

Demco

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:31:59 AM »
well i baked my motherboard in the oven today and ....it fixed my YLOD :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Progress 98%

Osiris09

• SDU Member
  • RB25DET
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
Glad we could help u. Hope it diddnt smell too much while cooking. Mine stunk lol.

Demco

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
nah mine was sweet i did it at 200c for 10 mins then opened the door and left it cool for 35 mins

put some new thermo paste on the stuff Sony used looks **** and the whole surface wasn't even covered so i used a much better quality paste put it back together and boom still going
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Progress 98%

SkylineObsession

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
If you haven't already, buy an external HDD and back up everything on your console, as chances are it will fail again.

I've lost two PS3's to YLOD, one of them was a replacement from Sony that wasn't even a year old. So i ranted at them about it (lost about 3 months worth of gamesaves since i hadn't backed up for a while) and they sent out a brand new slimline and not a refurbed console.

But i still back it up every couple of months - just don't trust it anymore. :(

If anyone has an original shape PS3 that is in good nick (no scratches etc) but doesn't work at all, i'd be happy to take it off your hands as i prefer the look of it to the slimline, and super slimline.
Would only be used to look at, like my first PS2 (one of the first batch released into NZ). Completely dead but still keeping it as i like its appearance more than the slimline PS2. :P

ECR33

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
Also if you could, it would help placing your PS3 off the carpet as dust and other garbage gets into the intake of your PS3, just keeping it on a table or hard surface like under your TV there would be suitable.

Also fixed my first gen PS3 (FAT) with the YLOD problem 3-4 times as it kept breaking continuously until I applied some good thermal paste and fixed it permanently then sold it to buy the slim.

This was the video that helped me all the way through: http://youtu.be/U70SgRDVcBo
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"WHAT THE WORLD IS NOT READY FOR" ==> thirtythre3.tumblr.com

Evilsnake

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Ive got a dud slimline ps3, It wont suck in any dvd's or spit them out.. Anyone know of a fix? Happened about 1 month out of warranty :splat:

ECR33

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »
yes, that too is also a common problem, there should be 'HOW TO' videos out for that also. I remember when researching for a fix on my YLOD problem that I ran across sometimes on fixes for the Blu Ray disc player problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"WHAT THE WORLD IS NOT READY FOR" ==> thirtythre3.tumblr.com