Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Twin Turbo V8 Van  (Read 5007 times)

thrasher

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
excuse the ignorance but in what context do you mean he's brave?

TTOBES

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
    • http://
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »
Not quite sure where you are comming from with that question, but....

This Mitsi runs 11.3 quaters at 126mph, roughly where this guy wants to be, and it looks to be a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=YDjqygCqzSs&feature=fvwp

I have covered well over 500,000km, as a courier, in both Mitsi and Toyota vans and they do have their limitations. My current daily is an L300 and I have another sitting in my workshop with a 1UZ and auto part way installed. When I started the project I considered twin low mount turbo's but decided the std 1UZ would be more than sufficient for what I need.
The weight distribution is no where near as bad a most people think, a standard Mitsi is better than my GTR in that respect, but the centre of gravity is much higher than a car. Being a commercial vehicle designed to carry weight the rear springs are much heavier than the front making them fairly tail happy. Also the suspension has the rack mounted in front of the axle so there is no Ackerman geometry in the steering.

Lastly take a look at this Mitsi crash test at, I think, 40kph...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnY_h4soriY

You would want to stay well away from the barriers at the end of the strip.

mŮk

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 12:39:54 AM »
Quote from: thrasher;610730
excuse the ignorance but in what context do you mean he's brave?

R154's smash 1st gear thrust washers with grippy tyres and drag launches. Thrust washer breaks, gearset moves forward and more breaking happens
If dolphins are so smart, why do they live in igloos

thrasher

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »
oh dear, I hope it holds out alright for him then

StixBNR32

Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 04:25:20 AM »
That is interesting - I have heard nothing but good things from R154's as I used to have a soarer I was going to TT and manual before the GTR.  This R154 has 0 Km's on it so I am sure it should be fine.  was fresh from toyota all in orginal packaging was very impressive.

I saw it while i was in NZ - things have again taking a turn.  He has his race cams back that are now a heavy 272deg on intake and exhaust and the head is being cleaned up (engine builder said it was a tidy engine anyway).

Block is sitting in there by itself waiting for the head studs and bolts to be installed.

Builder said it will be around 260-280kw without cams so should reach over 300kw with them and massive response.  I still reckon his cheap chinese turbos were a bad idea and will not flow what he wanted.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:29:55 AM by StixBNR32 »

SKIDAH33

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »
I dont see the bov in cabin but i see it in the engine compartment under the firewall however a bov in cabin would be awesome and funny to see the reactions from the passengers if it was hidden haha

And man that van looks sleeper, like a normal hiace lowered on rims except much faster than most! Lets hope his turbos hold up to the task. Alot of attention to detail going into this build, looks very entricate and the space is very well used. Well done :D

How is your car coming along stix?

StixBNR32

Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:53 AM »
Car seems to have either popped off waste gate lines (so they are 100% open) or blown the turbos hahaha as i have no boost at all.  I dont see why both turbos would have gone but I am back in the UK now so it is back in storage until it gets sent into the tuner again.  I will prob just replace the turbos manifolds and dump pipes anyway even if they are fine (also interncooler and a hardpipe kit) and will look at a Tomei oil pump and sump baffle so  I can run it around a few laps.

argh and a surge tank for safety reasons......it doesnt stop really
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:47:12 AM by StixBNR32 »

StixBNR32

Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 02:48:07 AM »
The chinese turbos are T3/T4 so the flanges should be fine to replace with a pair of garrets when required.  He only wants to run 13psi through them but I reckon with a 4L v8 and it being super hungry they will struggle to keep flow in the high RPM range.  We will find out.  4 weeks and she will be on the road.

rzrfl4me

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »
**** stix, wot u do 4 a job haha, must-b-rich.com lol

Harley

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • WD - No bullshit ISP
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »
why struggle in the high range? At the end of the day, its a 2 litre 4 cylinder feeding each turbo. If anything, it might take a while to spool.

StixBNR32

Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
haha IT contractor in London but this is not something i am doing next month - give me time to save.  Money is doubled too so abit lucky.  So I will update in a few months with what is going on. Contract has now been extended until October so wont be home before then.  So plenty of time to plan and acquire goodies.

cheap chinese turbos and a v8 running up to 7000rpm - the tuner thinks they will run out of puff about 6000rpm.  Will find out I hope its ok.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:23:17 AM by StixBNR32 »

SKIDAH33

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »
Very nice, he must be excited.

As for your car, such a shame but a good chance to start off fresh for some top mount twins or big single :D

StixBNR32

Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Link and link dash is all wired up and ready to go - heads are being installed this weekend and the jigsaw put together.  dyno results to follow.  Keep an eye out this should be interesting.

this thing is going to scare small children and old people.

Look for it in performance car in the coming months haha.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:33:03 AM by StixBNR32 »

StixBNR32

Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 12:09:25 AM »
VAN is alive - detonation problems above 5500rpm as the fuel pump is tied.  New one going in. The upgraded injectors are 440cc they might be replaced with 550cc ones.  Videos to come of first road test in pulling in 3rd. Running a estimated 220KW on 7psi with not enough fuel.

Good signs really - it is sounding just sick haha.

Water to air intercooler is keeping the charge at 27deg C at the throttle body so that design seems to be working so far.

Time to change fuel pump - bigger map sensor and wind up 15 PSI and then she will be on the dyno (just road tuning at the moment) for a power run.

expecting over 300KW at the rears with 700-9nm of torque.

Link G4 Extreme doing its job and even looking after the air con

Would anyone know why one of his cheap chinese turbos is blowing abit of smoke?  I told him not to buy them....buy cheap buy twice.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:15:02 AM by StixBNR32 »

Demon

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
Twin Turbo V8 Van
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »
because they are cheap and chinese. Probably ****ed a seal already man
White R33 GTS25t