Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Callum's R32 :D  (Read 3496 times)

CNR3290

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Callum's R32 :D
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
Thanks for that info gtsr very helpful :D
I'm pretty sure my shocks are okay she drives beautiful no body roll at all, but I don't want to go to all the trouble of putting new springs in my stock shocks to find out that I need to replace my shocks too haha I suppose cost of taking out stock shocks and replacing springs would end up being more expensive that just pulling out old ones and putting new ones straight in wouldn't it? What shocks should i buy to suit my car that will drop it from stock height by about 40 or 50 mm?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:21:08 PM by CNR3290 »

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »
You're welcome. :)

Is this for looks or handling??? Also what's your budget???

What I mean by that, is are you going for a hella flush look (to the arches) that's more expensive or sporty type of handling that can be done on a smaller budget???

Lowering to arches (40-50mm) for hella flush look affects alot of things and causes more problems that need to be fixed (fit Driftworks or Japanese made adjustable arms with rollcentre adjusters, fit BC racing coilovers or similar type of coilovers, etc) that makes it expensive. Also needs a cert.

On a lower budget you have to be realistic about rideheight (-20mm front, -15mm rear from stock rideheight of 370mm front, 360mm rear works with stock suspension arms).

Bender

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »
Keep the spoiler... They look wrong without one.... or replace with gtr spoiler

BUC957

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »
Agreed

CNR3290

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 08:08:23 AM »
On a lower budget you have to be realistic about rideheight (-20mm front, -15mm rear from stock rideheight of 370mm front, 360mm rear works with stock suspension arms).

Looks like this is the way to go then as I don't have the money at the moment to do all the stuff for 40-50mm lower :(

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »
That's what Nismo do as far as ride height goes with S-tune suspension kit for rwd R32 (sports type) -

http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/catalogue/#page=165

S-tune suspension can be used for road, trackdays.

You can buy the springs (repair parts) if the kit is too expensive -

http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/catalogue/#page=171

Can order Nismo parts through Nissan Dealerships.

Or try this person to see what he can find in Japan (sometimes can find above kit or similar second hand) -

http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=533477&postcount=33

I think he has a container, so is cheaper with shipping.

CNR3290

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
just the springs work out to be fairly cheap not sure how much it will be to bring to nz though

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
This is where the hard part comes down to you Callum, making a decision :laugh:

Understand where gtsr is coming from if i was building a race car, as you would want the piece of mind that hitting a corner off the back straight you're not going to understeer into the wall. But to be fair installing a set of king springs or dobi sport springs in a road car that are designed specifically for the car you have then things are only going to improve in the handling department as the centre of gravity is lower.

If purchasing new from the likes of Mag and Turbo or anywhere similar the springs are designed to be specifically compatible with the shock from that vehicle. Just saying that in the 8 years of playing with my own and mates' cars I have never experienced a car with (unmodified) aftermarket springs that has bottomed out their shocks.

my opinion anyway :D
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

Nothing better than the feeling of hitting boost.......................and still thinking you have control!!

CNR3290

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »
Cheers mate, I think I am just going to go for the likes of a aftermarket spring probably tein.

I just can't afford to replace shock at this stage and it is only a road car for now but I will eventually get adjusties :D but for now I think I will stick with the springs I am goin to get them to put lows in and super lows to see which one is better then ill decide :D

At the end of the day it isn't turbo so I'm not fussed if I lose a bit of handling for a nice ride height not like I'm going to be going around corners at 100kms lol

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »
Quote from: A31_25DET;616155
Understand where gtsr is coming from if i was building a race car, as you would want the piece of mind that hitting a corner off the back straight you're not going to understeer into the wall.

Exactly, but open roads, motorways are similar to racetrack (high speed, but not as high as racetrack).

But to be fair installing a set of king springs or dobi sport springs in a road car that are designed specifically for the car you have then things are only going to improve in the handling department as the centre of gravity is lower.

There's nothing wrong with those brands if choosen to suit car, just the people who setup factory or Nismo suspension have done the testing (road, racetrack, etc) to back up that it works with everything that's on the car at factory.

Also too low affect's vertical rollcentre alot that can make car handle worse than at factory rideheight. Just lowering car a little bit (like Nismo does) doesn't affect vertical rollcentre by alot and shock valving is adjusted to suit Nismo springs.

If purchasing new from the likes of Mag and Turbo or anywhere similar the springs are designed to be specifically compatible with the shock from that vehicle.

Stock shock valving allows you to run slightly harder or softer spring rate than factory (factory springs are around 4kg front, 2kg rear). Once outside that spring rate range the shock fails to control spring expanding, contracting and that affect's braking, acceleration, etc.

Most very low aftermarket springs are outside that spring rate range, sometimes even the low springs are outside that spring rate range. You need to change shock valving to suit the spring rate and they use a shock dyno, spring rate testing machine to do just that (Stocks or Autolign have this equipment).

From what I can remember from what I read, Stocks can modify some stock shocks valving to suit, so maybe contact / talk to them as well -

http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=487126&postcount=27

Usually you can't pop the top of stock shock to change valving, but I think they cut the top of shock body off and make custom cap for top of shock.

Just saying that in the 8 years of playing with my own and mates' cars I have never experienced a car with (unmodified) aftermarket springs that has bottomed out their shocks.

It does happen, as have seen the result's of what happens to a car when it crashes with just aftermarket springs, stock shocks. It's not until car is really pushed hard do you find out how bad it is.