Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Citizens Arrest  (Read 3210 times)

xdrift

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
    • http://
Citizens Arrest
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
Ok this wasn't a car, but it was technically a vehicle haha...
About two weeks ago I was at home studying for first semester exams at about 8pm, when I heard what I was pretty sure was a bike riding down the path beside my house. I went out to the shed at the back where we keep the bikes and found that my little bro's (lives with me and goes to uni to) was gone. It was a pretty tricked out UMF downhill bike so not a cheap bike..
I thought it was pretty late and dark to be going for a ride haha, so went and checked on him, and he was in his room studying to. I told him what was up, and told him to grab his keys. We jumped in his car and drove down the road in the most likely direction to see if we could spot them.
We drove about a km or so down the road, without spoting them and decided to turn around and try the other way. On the way back up the road we spotted these three guys on bikes and slowed down a bit, we saw one of them was on what looked alot like my bro's bike.. as we got close we were both sure. I jumped out while the car was still moving with my lil bro not far behind me. Ended up grabing the guy as his mates sped off, to his great protestations haha, he wasn't a small guy so it wasn't easy to hold him. About a minute later a couple pulled over thinking we were beating him up, it took a little while to explain and convince them of what was going on.
We eventually managed to get them to call the cops and and then we just had to wait for cops to arrive as we struggled with the thief while he ran his mouth and made a game out of stomping our bare feet on the ice covered pavement haha, he just had skate shoes on so it wasn't too bad. The male of the couple was getting worried about our feet so ended up grabbing one of the perps legs as he was kicking out and we basicly lowered him to the ground, I could then just hold his arms, with a knee in his chest which was a lot easier. After about 10 mins the cops turned up, they weren't to sure who was in the wrong as they got out of their car and approached, but we released the perp as they got close enough to easily grab him and cogently explained what was going on with the support of the couple.
It took quite a while after that to sort it all out with a couple of other cop cars arriving and us all giving our statements separately. All the while the guy was chimping out police ten 7 styles and had to be cuffed haha. Everyones (except the thiefs) statements obviously T'd up well and my little bro was able to prove ownership of the bike by knowing the bike lock cables combination, that, with the extremely short time between the bike being taken and us finding the dude with it, made it a pretty much an open a shut case so the cops were pretty stoked.
I've got to say, the cops were awesome and even came back to our place to check out the scene and make sure nothing else had been taken.

So at there is one happy ending at least. haha.

DeadBroke

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
Why work hard and save when you can just take... People with that mentality deserve to be locked up and have they're ish push in by a big black man. Least you caught the guy and luckily his mates sped off and didn't beat you's up.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
Good job catching the guy! Seems weird they broke into your garage just to take a bike :/

I'd be worried about freaks like that spitting on me while being held down and what diseases they carry LOL

xdrift

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
Well we've been pretty lax on security to be honest, we're on Baldwin st (the steepest street in the world- but we're not on the steep bit haha) so we get quite a lot of foot traffic, tourists etc, so its regarded as being pretty safe. There is a cop living across the road from me and she was very surprised at the theft for the above reason.. The bikes were in an small unlocked shed in the backyard separate to the garage, I think they must have walked up the path into the back yard and spotted the bike- pure opportunism, beats me why they were in the backyard as we were obviously home. Needless to say, we've made a few changes regarding security- having to do this is the main thing that f**ks me off about this episode.

Hey cheers guys, we were pretty stoked to catch them to! It was actually pretty fun haha. I had an exam the next morning which I needed to be studying for, but I'm pretty sure I still did pretty well.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
Awesome effort! I hope you restrained him with somewhat excessive force - an elbow or stray fist here n there would certainly help remind him what happened if he thinks about doing it again! The law doesn't seem to deter these f**kwits.

Quote from: b00stinz;616619
Seems weird they broke into your garage just to take a bike :/

There is no "just" with a bike like that! My bike retails at $7k, some little snot could flick that off for a grand or 2 quite easily.

AGRORB

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
Yeah, my ironhorse yakuza was worth 4k, stolen twice, never got it back the 2nd time :(
Truck drivers - We go ALL night.

BWARP.NET.NZ | BLOG | FORUM | SHOP

Quote from: ibb&;559471
I\'d drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a CB radio

Quote from: nathan1017;591767
giving the knob to sdu.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

xdrift

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »
Quote from: BADHAB|T;616622
Awesome effort! I hope you restrained him with somewhat excessive force - an elbow or stray fist here n there would certainly help remind him what happened if he thinks about doing it again! The law doesn't seem to deter these f**kwits.

There is no "just" with a bike like that! My bike retails at $7k, some little snot could flick that off for a grand or 2 quite easily.

Haha, cheers! Yeah I sure was tempted! But as we weren't entirely sure that what we were doing was legal at the time, we both made sure we erred on the side of caution and used only enough force to restrain him. Although I've got to admit, once we had him on the ground every time he acted out, kicking out etc, my knee on his chest changed angle had a bit more weight put behind it, right into his solar plexis haha. I also gave him a bit of s**t about his stupid *** theft attempt and techique haha.

As soon as we got home we checked out the legalities and we were totally in the right, I would recommend everyone checking their rights out in this regard as there are some strange rules around citizens arrest; for instance if you see anyone commiting serious crime (minor theft and up) AT NIGHT you are totally entittled to do what we did. But during daylight there are greater restrictions, eg for a theft the value of the item must be above a certain dollar value, $1000 from memory. Saying this though, I would guess that the cops would likely use their discretion if the situation is pretty clear cut and you only use reasonable force.

CNR3290

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
Haha that's brilliant mate, good job on getting that thieving bastar*.
However you always need to be careful when doing a citizens arrest, you can get in some serious sh*t if you are not in the right.

SkylineObsession

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »
Did this make it to the Dunedin/Otago papers at all? It just rings a bell slightly. Unless the whole 'getting stomped on by someone with shoes on while you're not wearing any' thing happened in another incident too.

Good stuff though. :D

My first mountain bike got stolen back in the mid 1990's and they never found the thief/bike. I always suspected it was the next door neighbours though, or rather someone that was at their house for a party the night it went missing.

mlracing.co.nz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
Nice work :D
After performance parts for your car? PM Me, email sales@mlracing.co.nz or visit www.mlracing.co.nz!

xdrift

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
Quote from: SkylineObsession;616639
Did this make it to the Dunedin/Otago papers at all? It just rings a bell slightly. Unless the whole 'getting stomped on by someone with shoes on while you're not wearing any' thing happened in another incident too.

Good stuff though. :D

My first mountain bike got stolen back in the mid 1990's and they never found the thief/bike. I always suspected it was the next door neighbours though, or rather someone that was at their house for a party the night it went missing.

Hey cheers, sucks about your bike though.. About it making the papers, surprise surprise it actually did! I had no idea until now haha.

I found this when googling it just now, but there was no reference to foot stomping and the details aren't exactly reported correctly, this must definitely be it though as the location is spot on and it all happened on the night of the 7th, with this appearing in the paper on the 8th:

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/260247/charged-taking-bike

Any idea where you read about it? I'd love check it out for lol's haha.

xdrift

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
Quote from: CNR3290;616638
Haha that's brilliant mate, good job on getting that thieving bastar*.
However you always need to be careful when doing a citizens arrest, you can get in some serious sh*t if you are not in the right.

Hey cheers.

For sure, as stated above, we were very carefull for that reason, and it is also a very good idea to check out the rules around citizens arrest.

base

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »
Next time you go past the north duEdin police station  look at the st number will make you laugh
Gud work on getting your bike back tho

xdrift

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »
Quote from: base;616668
Next time you go past the north duEdin police station  look at the st number will make you laugh
Gud work on getting your bike back tho

Yeah I've chuckled over that many a time haha, can't have been on purpose but I bet a few people must have wondered...

base

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Citizens Arrest
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
N.a. just happens to of worked out like that  I've asked lol