Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Thoughts on this C33  (Read 10617 times)

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »
Hi Guys

I have been wanting a laurel for a while now, And i have come across this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=612554217 I'm really keen on a non skid hack one and in tidy condition. Obviously its not worth 7.8 (Has no cert for 20DET) Neither does it have upgraded brakes required for one. I think 6k is fair. What do you guys think? As this will be my first RB and don't really know what too look for...

Cheers

Hr31rb30

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »
looks pretty tidy from pics man but go and check it out pics can be deceiving hahaha and as for brakes for a cert you don't always need to upgrade the brakes for a cert but will deff need one for the motor and id go with 6 if that's what your happy to pay for it id offer him 5 cash....haha but that's just me
ARRRHHH THUUURRRTYYY ONNNEEEE

- Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
- Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
- Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
- Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »
Quote from: nzl;617267
Hi Guys

I have been wanting a laurel for a while now, And i have come across this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=612554217 I'm really keen on a non skid hack one and in tidy condition. Obviously its not worth 7.8 (Has no cert for 20DET) Neither does it have upgraded brakes required for one. I think 6k is fair. What do you guys think? As this will be my first RB and don't really know what too look for...

Cheers

Yeeah I'd pay about 6k for that. Exhaust might get you in trouble though and we all know cars from places like whangarei are thrashed because they have nothing else to do after a few beers on saturday arvo

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
Cheers guys i know this sounds stupid, but im just after a really legit non cop bait car as stupid as that sounds when im wanting a C33. So the cert will be the first thing. And i honestly think it may have not been thrashed too bad, She has a laurel drift car, A forged S14, a S15 so hopefully she chooses the S-chassis haha. Ill try and get some more pics, Also the box is from VL, can that handle a 20DET? Cheers guys :)

SKDSUP

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
Point to note. Doesn't actually require 5 stud upgrade for cert.  A good pad swap does the trick. As all factory s13 a31 c33 180sx turbos came 4 stud out the box.
732-

#leoniesponies

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
It does look tidy, get a pre-purchase inspection done pending their acceptance on your offer (no point going ahead if the seller is set at that very steep price).

Quote from: nzl;617280
im just after a really legit non cop bait car as stupid as that sounds when im wanting a C33.

Why does that sound stupid? It sounds the opposite - smart!
My 32 has no fancy kit, no factory skirts and the more boring out of the 2 standard bumpers. It's modestly lowered on R34 17" wheels with a fmic that's pushed right back (no hacked up bumper) and a sedate-ish exhaust (that's all that's visible outside the car at least)... I've owned the car for 4ish years and I've been pulled over only twice, both just random checks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:31:54 PM by BADHAB|T »

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
Good to know about not requiring 5 stud conversion, is it actually worth doing?

Quote from: BADHAB|T;617297
It does look tidy, get a pre-purchase inspection done pending their acceptance on your offer (no point going ahead if the seller is set at that very steep price).

Why does that sound stupid? It sounds the opposite - smart!
My 32 has no fancy kit, no factory skirts and the more boring out of the 2 standard bumpers. It's modestly lowered on R34 17" wheels with a fmic that's pushed right back (no hacked up bumper) and a sedate-ish exhaust (that's all that's visible outside the car at least)... I've owned the car for 4ish years and I've been pulled over only twice, both just random checks.

Yeah man, i really like the d-low sleeper kinda look (If that makes sense haha) I will also be tidying up the paintwork and body to have it looking top notch. I had a friend offer her 6.5 too see what she said and the reply was basically a yes. So i think im going to offer 6.

Im manged to get some engine bay pics which all looks how it should? But i guess you cant tell until you test drive haha. Its out of a GTST with 130*** or 18*** Km's the silly woman lost the dash cluster! Well so she says.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:51:50 PM by nzl »

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »
Quote from: nzl;617299

Im manged to get some engine bay pics which all looks how it should? But i guess you cant tell until you test drive haha.

Actually, no!
They're n/a breathers on the rocker covers.... there are 2 possibilities for this. Someone has simply fitted them to tidy up the breather hoses (however, I've only ever seen this done when a catch can is fitted, otherwise it's pretty much pointless)
or
the engine is an RB20DE with a turbo conversion.

There are also 2 bolts missing from the bracket that holds the BOV recirc pipe to the J pipe - not bolts that get removed and not replaced for any good reason, but they are bolts that get ignored or forgotten about at the end of a +t project. I may be looking too deeply into that lol, but it's an anomaly and with the breathers is another hint it may not be a genuine DET engine.

Not sure what that plastic intake pipe is from :confused: certainly not R32. It's doing absolutely nothing (nothing there to box that cold air in).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:01:29 PM by BADHAB|T »

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617301
Actually, no!
They're n/a breathers on the rocker covers.... there are 2 possibilities for this. Someone has simply fitted them to tidy up the breather hoses (however, I've only ever seen this done when a catch can is fitted, otherwise it's pretty much pointless)
or
the engine is an RB20DE with a turbo conversion.

There are also 2 bolts missing from the bracket that holds the BOV recirc pipe to the J pipe - not bolts that get removed and not replaced for any good reason, but they are bolts that get ignored or forgotten about at the end of a +t project. I may be looking too deeply into that lol, but it's an anomaly and with the breathers is another hint it may not be a genuine DET engine.

Not sure what that plastic intake pipe is from :confused: certainly not R32. It's doing absolutely nothing (nothing there to box that cold air in).

Wow haha, soon as i thought this was legit. He replied saying, Yip the are stock DE Breathers and the intake manifold is also. Those parts on the DET were painted Matt black(Must have previously been a fully S1k skidder bae) and he wanted to retain the standard look.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
Man there's no way someone from whangas will go to the effort of changing the breather outlets to DE ones to make the engine bay "tidy". Also non turbo intake manifold? Why go to all that effort?
I'm so sure that is a +T. Check to see if he ran water lines to the turbo, in my experience (I did the same too), the lines were too hard to rig up because of the need for banjos and all that.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »
Check the exhaust manifold, turbo etc bolts and nuts for signs they have recently been removed/refitted. Old bolts with newer looking wear marks or simply new bolts all around.
Again, there is a logical explanation - snapped exhaust manifold studs BUT if there are signs they've been touched it's just another anomaly to add to the others.

I also don't buy the sellers story... the factory breather was painted matte black so it got replaced?! Err the parts that are missing are metal and rubber - both black. There is also no evidence of paint anywhere else around the breathers and rocker covers nor anywhere around the plenum. Very, VERY strange things to only paint ....and then remove simply because they're painted and look "messy". Nor do you paint a rubber pipe lol.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »
Quote from: b00stinz;617323
Check to see if he ran water lines to the turbo, in my experience (I did the same too), the lines were too hard to rig up because of the need for banjos and all that.

Spanner in the works time (just spotted this)... in the 2nd pic you can see the water line coming from around the back of the head

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617330
Check the exhaust manifold, turbo etc bolts and nuts for signs they have recently been removed/refitted. Old bolts with newer looking wear marks or simply new bolts all around.
Again, there is a logical explanation - snapped exhaust manifold studs BUT if there are signs they've been touched it's just another anomaly to add to the others.

I also don't buy the sellers story... the factory breather was painted matte black so it got replaced?! Err the parts that are missing are metal and rubber - both black. There is also no evidence of paint anywhere else around the breathers and rocker covers nor anywhere around the plenum. Very, VERY strange things to only paint ....and then remove simply because they're painted and look "messy". Nor do you paint a rubber pipe lol.

Yeah it does seem like abit of a strange story. Maybe not worth the two hour drive to check it out?

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
Quote from: nzl;617345
Yeah it does seem like abit of a strange story. Maybe not worth the two hour drive to check it out?

That's up to you mate... but if it was me looking I've seen enough to make me look elsewhere.

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
Yeah i think i might give it a miss... Anyone know of any mint C33's out there for sale? :D