Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Thoughts on this C33  (Read 10616 times)

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617332
Spanner in the works time (just spotted this)... in the 2nd pic you can see the water line coming from around the back of the head

Ah right just under the manifold, I missed that. Still seems pretty suspect. Who knows, only real way to find out is check the engine block stamp.

xdrift

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
    • http://
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »
The way I would look at it is that it appears to be a very tidy example with all of the manual bits, but with a possibly suspect although running motor. It may not be a genuine rb20det, but this can be fairly easily remedied. I had a quick look on trademe, and Laurels seem to be non-manual/turbo, tidy and cheap or manual/turbo, rough and cheap or manual turbo, tidy and expensive (like most performance cars). The car you're looking at could well be the best compromise, I would definitely go for a tidy body+interior with a potentially suspect engine over the reverse, you may even find with further investigation that it is indeed a genuine rb20det (win!).
I would use all of the above info to talk the seller down and potentially get a bargain.

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »
Quote from: b00stinz;617353
Ah right just under the manifold, I missed that. Still seems pretty suspect. Who knows, only real way to find out is check the engine block stamp.

Yeah i asked him for a pic of the engine stamp but he wasn't sure where it was :headbutt: He reckons he has the old Genuine DET parts lying round so ill have to see if he can get some photos!

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
It's also got some clear coat peeling, Is this is a easy fix or does it mean it will need respray in the foreseeable future? Sorry for all the questions guys! But there's only one way to find these things out haha.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »
Quote from: nzl;617376
It's also got some clear coat peeling, Is this is a easy fix or does it mean it will need respray in the foreseeable future? Sorry for all the questions guys! But there's only one way to find these things out haha.

You can try minimise it and hide with sand paper and touch up paint but at the end of the day, the only way you will make it look the way it should is respraying that panel.
No worries about the questions, nothing wrong with asking and learning :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:28:01 PM by BADHAB|T »

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
Quote from: nzl;617376
Sorry for all the questions guys! But there's only one way to find these things out haha.

like BADHABIT said, no need to apologise for questions, thats what were are here for, to help each other out and hopefully reduce the amount of what could be a bad decisions :laugh: :D

keep us posted on that engine code :)
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

Nothing better than the feeling of hitting boost.......................and still thinking you have control!!

base

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »
Anyone noticed the joiner on the jpipe to intercooler  pipe looks to off bin cut to suit  and pipe and mount don't line up

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
Quote from: base;617385
Anyone noticed the joiner on the jpipe to intercooler  pipe looks to off bin cut to suit  and pipe and mount don't line up

Yeah I did notice that joiner.... it definitely doesn't look right, but I assume that's the factory joiner that's had a chunk taken out of it. IIRC, that join is a reducer so it's not something that's easy to come by as a non standard part and the material it's made from looks like the standard stuff too.

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
another thing to check would be the ECU, see if you can get the numbers off him,

a 20de ECU will run a 20det or 20de+t but not very well speaking from when i bought a c33 with a 20det :)
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

Nothing better than the feeling of hitting boost.......................and still thinking you have control!!

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
Cheers for all the responses guys! Appreciated, motivates me to get hurry him up haha! He is not in town till Friday so apparently he is going to get his friend to go have a look tomorrow. If all seems to be legit ill try and make the trip up this weekend :dude

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »
Got some other news, Found this Cefiro who is willing to swap for my current car plus 3k his way. Its apparently got a 20DET out of a GTST running 10PSI.

I asked if there where any issues and he said, The standard blow off valve leeks which I found out is common so it sometimes packs a sad and wont idle. I got a after market j pipe with after market blow off valve but the spring in the blow off valve is only a 8pound so need bigger spring for that. idles better with the standard j pipe. Ill send a pic with after market j pipe a blow off valve on.

What do you guys think of this Cefiro?

[URL=http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/ceifro3.jpg.html]

After market J-pipe.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Of course it leaks and there are idle issues.... making the factory plumb back into a VTA isn't the best idea rofl
If that's not the issue, the idle valve probably will be and that's an easy fix.

The car looks tidy but it's showing signs of age... the only real way to tell if it's a good deal is have a look at it!
Value wise... I'm not sure, that all depends on what you value your car at!

nzl

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Wow sorry, I should have added that! Haha. It's worth around $2.5k at a quick guess.

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »
Quote from: nzl;617459
Wow sorry, I should have added that! Haha. It's worth around $2.5k at a quick guess.

what is your current car? doesnt look too bad, check it our in person if you can, pics can be deceiving :)

has it got cert? got to be on adjustables or worse cutties lol

also the bov on that aftermarket j pipe is just a sh*tty chinese piece of crap so no wonder that one isnt any better, keep the factory j pipe and get a decent venting bov or even a twin trumpet where you can recirculate half the flow,
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:56:53 PM by A31_25DET »
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Thoughts on this C33
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:38 PM »
I don't understand the two rubber hoses. One goes off breathers to catch tank, the other goes somewhere around the turbo? To the intake perhaps?
 Bad thing is, if that is the case, if the catch can is vented, you're sucking in air that doesn't go through your AFM. Which means running leaner than intended.