Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: just another A31  (Read 13511 times)

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
Hey guys! Thought i'd actually start posting seeing as I've attended the friday night meets at least once since 2011 :dude

Here is my 1988 A31 Cefiro. These first pictures are dated back to 2011 when I purchased the car.

Within a year of owning the car, I finally got around to getting the boot lid changed. I had always wanted to have a spoiler-less Cefiro as the factory spoilers are not my thing really. But turns out it was a good reason I changed the boot lid. (iMantisNZ had posted one of these pictures in the Friday Night Meets post). Pictures were taken early 2011. (Can't quite remember tbh)

The next year or two after than I had no time to spend doing anything on it as it was off the road. Had a '88 Nissan Sentra as a daily while the Cefiro was off the road, then sold that and used the Cefiro until it started having overheating issues. Which then lead to the purchase of a '92 Nissan Pulsar for a daily. I was attending MIT and had a kid on the way. But when I had the time and money to chuck in a new good for those emergency corner manoeuvres, or handbrakies (it does poor handbrakies, darn you drum hand brake design!). Pictures were taken during May 2013

With the luck I have, Dad purchased a GTI-R powered T4 P10 Primera and managed to score 2 sets of 17x7 mags which I managed to score myself a set. But with the factory Cefiro shocks being ridiculously high risen as they are, the new mags turned out like this:

The car was unmistakeably too high for even the eldest of women, so she needs to have her ankles lopped off and her shin bones completely removed. I tracked down some standard S13 shocks with King springs (super lows I guess). Now with my wedding a few weeks away, she began to take form of a really mint looking Cefiro:

And with a chassis rail elevation of only 105mm, possibly higher. I have yet to measure since changing the tire size on the rear. (Got some free 225/45r17s from No Cams Motorsport in East Tamaki as a placeholder. Bit bald but my cousin works at Advantage Tyres Otahuhu and chucked them on for me. Haven't been picked up, even at that Friday Night meet!

And that's all i've done to her so far. Next thing on the list is saving up for a manual conversion. I'm a diploma graduate and having 1 year of degree under my belt, having to drop out of tertiary education is a bit of a set back on my studies, but hoping to find a position in IT (networking) so I can pour more funds into her (and my family, but lets be honest, the cefiro is family too :))

Aubrey107

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
Good work so far man! Just a question, thats a cefiro handbrake console your using aye? not an r32?

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »
Nice work man, was good to see another one down there the other night, did you just pick up the bootlid of Trademe?

Quote from: Aubrey107;622347
Good work so far man! Just a question, thats a cefiro handbrake console your using aye? not an r32?

yea mate its a factory Cefiro/Laurel console from around the 1990 model.
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

Nothing better than the feeling of hitting boost.......................and still thinking you have control!!

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
Welcome to SDU, cool cef! I understand IT pays quite well so you'll be sorted!

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
Quote from: Aubrey107;622347

Yup. Also have a factory manual gearstick surround sitting here waiting for the car to be converted so i can use. already got a shopping list started with pricing.

Quote from: A31_25DET;622348
Nice work man, was good to see another one down there the other night, did you just pick up the bootlid of Trademe?

Yea lol, bought it off some guy out west auckland way, chucked it on. i have been in 2 minds whether to paint it. the mis-matched bootlid kinda looks cool lol. it's unique :P

Quote from: b00stinz;622349
Welcome to SDU, cool cef! I understand IT pays quite well so you'll be sorted!

Haha yeah when they give me a freaking job. Too many wanting experience when I'm just a fresh graduate pretty much with barely any commercial experience.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
I feel your pain, I'm currently looking for engineering internships :( Same deal

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
Quote from: b00stinz;622356
I feel your pain, I'm currently looking for engineering internships :( Same deal

Yeah it's pretty crap. Putting the Cefiro on hold in terms of the manual conversion. Should put that in my CV, maybe employers with real taste in cars might take a liking to that little point :)

Demco

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
welcome dude
♜♞♝♛[Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4]♚♝♞♜[/b]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ARRRHHH THUUURRRTYYY TWOOO
Progress 98%

[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/COLOR] || ]

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
So I took the car for it's first WOF since I put in the S13 shocks and king springs. Flew through on everything EXCEPT the park lights, rear lights and reg plate lights don't illuminate when the lights are turned on (suspected broken headlight switch on steering column) and a nasty rust hole on the right rear sill in front of the rear right wheel well. To be honest, I even asked the guy (at Drivesure Papakura, opposite Pak n Sav) whether the height off the ground was an issue and he said it was all right so YAY!

Also found some more rust which I'm personally getting annoyed with. Rusty Passenger A pillar (had it professionally fixed before windscreen was replaced but they've done a **** job) and it seems the rear bottom window frame is rusty (again, had it also professionally fixed). Starting to see an issue with both cheap and expensive rust repair.

And the mrs is getting tired of all the rust issues. And getting stick from the mother-in-law about it being an old car... but she drives a '92 honda civic sedan... sigh...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:50:10 PM by promaori »

Aubrey107

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »
For the handbrake conversion did you use the r32 handbrake mounting bracket that is spot welded to the chassis or just use bolts to secure it down ?

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 08:26:27 AM »
Mine has just used two bolts through the floor, make sure you put some sort of plate on either side of the hole to give it some stability.
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

Nothing better than the feeling of hitting boost.......................and still thinking you have control!!

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »
Quote from: promaori;622751

Also found some more rust which I'm personally getting annoyed with. Rusty Passenger A pillar (had it professionally fixed before windscreen was replaced but they've done a **** job) and it seems the rear bottom window frame is rusty (again, had it also professionally fixed). Starting to see an issue with both cheap and expensive rust repair.

And the mrs is getting tired of all the rust issues. And getting stick from the mother-in-law about it being an old car... but she drives a '92 honda civic sedan... sigh...

I know cheap and nasty seem to go together but paying a lot of money is no guarantee of quality either. I travelled a long way from home to get some rust repairs done (rust cut out and metal welded in) at a relatively low price  by Mark from Apache Panelbeaters and he was very confidence inspiring (I guess time will tell). Do you want to PM me with the name of your unsatisfactory repairer please?

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »
Quote from: Aubrey107;623308
For the handbrake conversion did you use the r32 handbrake mounting bracket that is spot welded to the chassis or just use bolts to secure it down ?

I got my mate to MIG weld it to the floor pan, figured since it's a handbrake conversion, i'm never going to convert it back so did it the best way possible first time. Lines up sweet to, just made sure it sat nicely in the groove on the tunnel, and overlapping the seam between the gearstick tunnel and the floor pan (you'll know which seam i'm talking about)

Quote from: westybob;623540
I know cheap and nasty seem to go together but paying a lot of money is no guarantee of quality either. I travelled a long way from home to get some rust repairs done (rust cut out and metal welded in) at a relatively low price  by Mark from Apache Panelbeaters and he was very confidence inspiring (I guess time will tell). Do you want to PM me with the name of your unsatisfactory repairer please?

I'm not too sure of the name of the guy who exactly did it, but I will PM you with the guy who did it. I might have paperwork on the work done lying around somewhere. I try to keep as much of the documentation of professional work as possible since I find trusting such places quite difficult. (Dad took his Primera's to a few panel beaters hoping for awesome work but either panel work was crap or their painting was atrocious.

EDIT* Well... I'm looking at whereabouts it was, 116 Cavendish Drive Manukau. I don't think they're there anymore. But I'm fairly sure the guys were like next door. I'll try and find the paperwork.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:16:10 PM by promaori »

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »
So this just happened today... Massive rock vs. Cefiro headlight =

Was kicked up by a truck as I was heading into Albany on my way to Waiwera beach for a couple of hours. Saw it hit the front of the car and my heart stopped, and then a few choice words came out after...

And in other news, I am looking for an A31 Cefiro headlight similar to the one in the photo with the ribbed headlight frame.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:56:36 PM by promaori »

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »
Managed to score a list of parts I can use for a manual conversion. Seems to be a nice amount of parts. Probably took a total of $250 off the price of my conversion, although whether I can use all of it is yet to be seen.

-RB25 manual driveshaft (front half) (he said it matched the splines on an RB25 g/box)
-Clutch Master Cyl.
-Clutch Slave Cyl. x2 (one of them apparently had the internals pushed out by an idiot pushing clutch in whilst cyl. wasn't installed fully.
-Braided clutch line
-Clutch pressure plate
-Clutch (fairly worn afaik, flaking off slightly)
-6-bolt flywheel with the 5/6 bolts to engine (would consider brand new bolts)

Not totally sure as to what else I need but will get there.