Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: just another A31  (Read 13499 times)

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
Quote from: Tomy255;625136
Any chance you took pictures while doing the conversion? Make a DIY thread :)

I was planning on it, however I found myself with such a short time frame to convert it that I couldn't take any photos. However I wouldn't mind helping another member out with it to make a tutorial. And I'm sure it worths the same converting a C33.

Tomy255

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »
Algood bro, dont think il be doing a full manual conversion on my c33 but big changes are happening. will announce very soon

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
Automatic Spigot Bush Removal
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
All I have from my conversion are these photos I took of how to remove the spigot bush using a $34.99 ($27.99 with SCA Club Membership) Small Bearing Puller from Super Cheap Auto.

Before using the bearing puller. Tried using the drill and cold chisel technique... Didn't work. Tried the fill with grease and hammer a socket in... Didn't work.

So asked on RBWest Facebook group and someone said to use this modified bearing puller. The back corners of one arm were filed down in order to get a reasonable angle on the crank-side of the automatic bearing. Insert into the bearing hole as shown below, and place the bearing screw/bolt on an A/T flywheel bolt that's finger tight. It's good to put one on either side of the bearing hole as you can wriggle it out without warping or damaging the crank (although my attempts at cold chiseling it out probably are cause for concern.)

And it came out piss easy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:56:53 PM by promaori »

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
Honestly as whorey as some of the ideas are. RBwest has some genius mofos

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 08:07:58 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised to be honest. A lot of them were saying use grease and bread but I'd wrecked it too much. My question is now... How can I use the tool to ease getting manual spigots out

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
Update: So I have been using the car to go to tech and do my business in since Monday after I finished it, and have come to the conclusion (with the help of my Dad) that my gearbox is vibrating a fair bit, but have also discovered a whine in fifth. It's probably good that I've made the purchase official through trade-me, however I doubt the guy I bought it off can be of any help. I have made a post about it in the Maintenance and Car Care section of the forum (http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=625159)

MDM

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »
the vibration isn't from the drive shaft being out of balance ?? I only skimmed through this thread so might have missed if it was balanced..

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
just another A31
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
Yeah, I think I have come to the conclusion with myself that the driveshaft will definitely need balancing. So I'm currently working on the crossmember and gearstick boot due to being bogged down at tech the last few weeks.

However, I made the trip to Hamilton this evening to pick up a b-stamp crossmember for my gearbox. Having put the custom job on, it's safe to say that it's done its job, by providing a temporary crossmember while I sort out a proper one.

I have also been busy this afternoon sorting out my wiring after converting it. Basically I was running a temp wire for my inhibitor so I could drive to tech and back, but today have taken the auto gearbox loom (gearbox was thrown at metalman, along with the torque converter and auto flywheel for a measly $21.90 (71Kg worth of aluminium D: ).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:57:27 PM by promaori »

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
Reverse Switch/Inhibitor Removal
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Just converted your Cefiro to manual? Here's how to get it started and sort out the reverse lights so people know to back the f**k up.

These are the plugs related to the automatic transmission:

The plugs that aren't labelled don't need anything plugged into them once you go manual as far as I know. However, the ones that are labelled are required which the automatic transmission loom will be modified to suit the manual gearbox.

The inhibitor plug:

It is literally two spade crimp connectors, however to make it look semi tidy, we can chop the majority of the wires on the gearbox loom side, and solder them together to remove the inhibitor indefinitely. You could even wire these to the neutral switch on the gearbox, which basically prevents the starter motor from doing anything unless the gearstick is in the neutral position.

Now that the Cefiro can be started, we must look into sorting out the reverse lights.

The gear selector plug:

Since we don't have a use for selecting gears, we can use this plug along with the reverse switch on the gearbox to activate the reverse lights when the gearbox is in reverse. Cut the other wires off and leaving the GREEN and BLACK wires.

If you haven't already, cut the plug off the reverse switch and solder your green and black wires to the switch (It doesn't matter which wire goes where, it's a switch.)

(WILL ADD PICTURES OF CUTTING AND SPLICING INTO REVERSE SWITCH, MAYBE)