Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Prep 'n Painting Wheels  (Read 2028 times)

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »
Hey guys! I am looking at painting the wheels I have on my '88 Cefiro, however I am unsure of costs, what i'd need and steps to take. I have watched the Mighty Car Mods video that they did to Marty's Subaru Legacy, but it's hard to guess how much I'd need for mine.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »
Assuming you DIY and you are happy with painting your wheels as they are now even with kerbing. To do it as cheaply as possible:

Degrease entire wheel with supercheap auto degreaser, then get a wax and grease remover from paint shop, they come in small bottles, and wipe down entire surface to be painted with the stuff put on a cloth. Wear some gloves so you don't get your skin oils and other contaminants on the surface.

Generally 3 spray cans (can't remember capacity) made for spraying automotive stuff should do you for all 4 wheels. Do light coats each time to avoid runs. If you don't care how the job looks close up, plastidip will be okay, but it looks like absolute sh*t close up. Looks very textured and is a nightmare to clean because it catches and holds dirt.

If you leave the tyre on, get a pack of cards and place them all around the outer edge of the rim to shield the tyre from paint.

The entire job shouldn't cost you more than 100. Paint is the most expensive thing and I reckon you should use something suitable for automotive use, not like the cheap spray cans supercheap sells but engine enamel or something like that. Or get a can mixed up in the colour you want. http://www.carcolors.co.nz/
Those guys can mix up colours you want and first can is like $26 then a bit cheaper per can after that.

r34gtr

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:02 AM »
^ nice write up

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
Thanks mate! So max cost is $150 because I was keen on painting them a factory nissan silver.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »
yep sounds about right. In terms of kerbing, supercheap used to do this metal reinforced bog. You can file down burred edges, fill in with the bog and then primer and spray over it. One can of primer should do it. Oh also forgot, as for the rest of the rim, if you don't want to go get primer cans for all 4 rims, you can just sand them with very fine wet and dry sand paper first like 2000 grit pr over. Make sure to wipe down the surfaces always with wax and grease remover before painting. It'll be the difference between paint sticking and coming off in time.

Obviously all these tips and instructions I'm giving are to paint your rims as cheaply as possible. There are a lot better but more expensive ways to do it and it's even better to get them powder coated or professionally done by a painter, however it costs heaps!

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »
I was actually tempted on getting rid of that raised bit all together since it's the only part that's been curbed on all four mags. Not too sure what that would do to the wheel balance though.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »
Quote from: promaori;623774
Not too sure what that would do to the wheel balance though.

Nothing good.... but they can (should) be balanced again if you do decided to get rid of the lip

Tomy255

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »
It cost me about $40ish to paint my wheels on my old S14.

Was an okay job, but looked so much better than the silver

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:40:22 PM »
White wheels look pretty good. Not too sure on a bluish silver Cefiro though.

Aubrey107

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »
Quote from: promaori;623793
White wheels look pretty good. Not too sure on a bluish silver Cefiro though.

You good at photo shop? I reckon it will look sweet, but they do get dirty pretty fast.

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
Prep 'n Painting Wheels
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »
Haha not really although I could do colour overlays.