Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: catch can  (Read 1376 times)

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
catch can
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »
so i figured i'd need one as i wanna take it to track day some time.
basically it's a container with baffles or steel wool inside from what i hear?
question - does it have like a lid which you can open up and put steel wool or how does it work?
i want to weld a piece together and solder up a couple of nipples and a ball valve so I can drain contaminant when full.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: catch can
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159322
This is from another forum I post on, it's a long thread... but well worth a read. It'll answer all of your questions (probably) and even answer questions you didn't know you needed to know lol

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »
I have found with the open configuration where breather pipes vent into a can with a breather on top, the engine struggles to idle as it is a bit of an air leak with some motors while others were just fine.

If I were to do it differently and properly next time I'd run both hoses into one port of the catch can and the other port to the intake pipe so there is a vacuum drawing out vapour from the head but being filtered through the can before re-entering the intake system.

Also wondered about running the PCV emissions into the exhaust at one point but you'd need to put in flame arrestors and all sorts of safety measures especially if your motor blows out a lot of oil at high RPM! Would look terrible when it comes out the back being burnt too...

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »
holly! that's a looooong thread - maybe tomorrow, if things are slow at work  ;)