Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: GAS LEAK?  (Read 1154 times)

Demco

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
GAS LEAK?
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
Hey guys my 1998 RB25DE NEO Stagea has a really gassy smell to it when i fire it up doesn't smell like burnt gas smells like straight petrol
could it be running rich? and how do i check that or could there be a gas leak somewhere?
♜♞♝♛[Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4]♚♝♞♜[/b]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ARRRHHH THUUURRRTYYY TWOOO
Progress 98%

[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/COLOR] || ]

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: GAS LEAK?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
Check hoses on fuel filter in engine bay, as they are known to crack, leak (worth it to replace the fuel hoses, clamps when changing fuel filter).

Check the seal on fuel cap itself and O ring seal on the housing for the fuel pump.

Leaking injector seals is another (leaking injector should make engine missfire).

I think fuel tank is the other near where filler neck is located.

They are common area's where the fuel smell comes from.

If fuel smell is from exhaust, check for anything banging against engine thus setting off the knock sensors, which activates the knock control on stock ECU (knock maps), clean AFM with CRC MAF cleaner, check fuel octane is correct for engine (check sticker on back of fuel flap where you fill up fuel tank). Sometimes get bad batches of fuel at some service stations and refilling fuel tank with new fuel makes it go away.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
Check injectors as gtsr said, most common thing. You'll see dried up shiny or dark patches under them on the intake manifold. Also check the hoses going to and out of the fuel filter and, the can have hairline splits and only leak when the motor is running. Just run your fingers all around them.

97 25xfour

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
possibly replace oxygen sensor as it might be running really rich due to an old sensor