Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Automatic stagea stalls and idling problems  (Read 2827 times)

ducky

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Automatic stagea stalls and idling problems
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
hello all i am new to this forum.

so i own a WGN C34 Stagea Series 1 with a NEO RB20DE.
so at the moment when it starts it will blow white smoke and the idle is real rough
at random times when im breaking for a corner the revs will drop real low like below 200 rpm and make the steering a little stiffer
also at sometimes when i am stopped at an intersection the revs will just randomly rise up to about 1500 and drop to 100 or zero the lights on the dashboard will fade slightly as the revs drop as well and sometimes the lights you see at the accessories position will flicker on.
if the revs don't magically return to the normal position of 800 then it will stall and ill have to start the car again.
its really annoying and i would like some suggestions on what it could be.

i have just had a service but need to change the sparks...

any help appreciated

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: Automatic stagea stalls and idling problems
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
Sounds like TPS is not on the idle contact or set voltage trigger on later model TPS, ECU.

When on idle contact inside TPS (or triggered by a preset voltage on ECU) it tells ECU to kick rpm up to prevent engine from stalling.

White smoke from exhaust is normal when engine is warming up (burning off condensation in exhaust, etc). But worth doing a compression test, radiator pressure test, usual checks for a blown headgasket (brown looking coolant in overflow bottle, milky look to end of dipstick).

R33_400R

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
I would say air flow meter.....common issue...see if you can find one to borrow and run some  tests
Ex President/Admin/Moderator

If You Can't Find It.....Grind It

"Player In Management Profession-------PIMP"

Tony@SkylinesDownUnder.Com

ducky

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:06 PM »
Sounds like TPS is not on the idle contact or set voltage trigger on later model TPS, ECU.

When on idle contact inside TPS (or triggered by a preset voltage on ECU) it tells ECU to kick rpm up to prevent engine from stalling.

White smoke from exhaust is normal when engine is warming up (burning off condensation in exhaust, etc). But worth doing a compression test, radiator pressure test, usual checks for a blown headgasket (brown looking coolant in overflow bottle, milky look to end of dipstick).

cheers will try that out and yeah it is a lot of white smoke not just your usual bit from start up. like i can see it for a good 3 seconds in a big cloud not just a little coming out the exhaust

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »

cheers will try that out and yeah it is a lot of white smoke not just your usual bit from start up. like i can see it for a good 3 seconds in a big cloud not just a little coming out the exhaust

You're welcome. :)

TPS fails due to age, way the car is driven. Usually TPS is checked and changed if necessary every 30-60,000km (same time as the o2 sensor).

Then it might be burning oil. Although I think it should be a different colour if the valve seals are leaking. Usually get a big cloud of white smoke from exhaust on turbocharged engines when the turbo oil seal fails on exhaust side of turbo, hence why I'm thinking it's burning oil (valve seals, headgasket, rings, etc). Smell from exhaust is another way to tell which it is (coolant or oil).

AFM could be another as R33_400R has already mentioned.

It's a process of elimination of the area's you know that cause those symptoms and is like doing a health check on the engine, so not a waste of time.

97 25xfour

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
I always get a lot of white smoke out of my exhaust after rain but it appears to be just condensation