Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: What GPS tracker should i buy?  (Read 1212 times)

ExtremeBean

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
What GPS tracker should i buy?
« on: November 06, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Seeing more and more on the internets these days about cars getting nicked, and it makes me want to invest in a GPS tracker - for if worst comes to worst.

What are the brands out there and what is best?

Also how are they installed - as far as i understand they use a sim card and a constant 12v power source? Does the sim card need money on it/need to be activated or anything?

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: What GPS tracker should i buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:26:04 PM »
Yeah 12v source and a few other wires to run relay for fuel/ignition cut etc. Yes the sim card needs money on it to operate. From memory you have to use vodafone cards too as the other telco SIMs don't txt in the same format or something. May be resolved now though.
They're pretty easy to wire in if you follow the diagrams they come with, even with the chinese-english translations. However the hardest part is hiding the unit well, running all wires so they aren't easily recognised and bypassed and getting the placement for aerials correct. Worth it though for $150ish tops

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
I have the GPS/SMS/GPRS Tracker that was on a group buy. Several members have them installed and at least one recovered his car because of it. I never got around to installing it and may be selling my car so you could have it for $100.

stixbnr32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
There is a few out there - I hear AVS is good.
Street/Track machine in progress.  Lets see some numbers.