Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Bonnet Ungluing  (Read 1669 times)

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
Bonnet Ungluing
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Hey guys and girls,
My metal bonnet is coming unglued from its bracing ,its mainly on the exhaust manifold side ,I'm picking the heat from it over time. I've had a good look and its def glued not tack welded ,as I've noticed just a little bit of flutter on it ,I've got the glue for it but i cant clamp the ones towards the center can only get the edge, has anyone had this problem and what did you do ?
Budget on this one doesn't allow for new bonnet unless someone has a real cheap one around then ill cut this one and vent it for track day use and may be able to glue it then,

Any help Cheers
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:40:22 AM by Mogiman »
Gaming Since you were a twinkle in your daddy\'s eye...

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnet Ungluing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »
Hey guys and girls,
My metal bonnet is coming unglued from its bracing ,its mainly on the exhaust manifold side ,I'm picking the heat from it over time. I've had a good look and its def glued not tack welded ,as I've noticed just a little bit of flutter on it ,I've got the glue for it but i cant clamp the ones towards the center can only get the edge, has anyone had this problem and what did you do ?
Budget on this one doesn't allow for new bonnet unless someone has a real cheap one around then ill cut this one and vent it for track day use and may be able to glue it then,

Any help Cheers
How much pressure do you need? Prop it with a length of wood and then pull the bonnet down on it and secure it with a bungee cord overnight or however long it takes the glue to cure.

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:27:32 PM »
I did think about that but it is like half the bonnet and would have to almost make a big jig with curves and all I may have to try anyway,anyone got any real powerful magnets i can borrow lol

[/quote]How much pressure do you need? Prop it with a length of wood and then pull the bonnet down on it and secure it with a bungee cord overnight or however long it takes the glue to cure.
[/quote]

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
done but it wasn't easy

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »
Still not sitting right so brought a new one 65 bucks from mega car part good price and was in really good nick apart from a little paint fade but that wont matter as repaint coming up

Drift-monkey

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »
I would have taken the bonnet off, laid it on the ground, glued it and stacked some shit on top of the glue to press it down..