Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R30 engine problems  (Read 1481 times)

Slaphead

• RB20E
    • View Profile
R30 engine problems
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
Hi everyone.
I have just joined SDU as I have just bought a 1984 R30. It is a beautiful looking car and is all original.
I had only owned it for a couple of days when it developed an engine problem. I was driving along and then it started stuttering and then it cut out. I tried to restart it but no joy. Had to have it towed home. I thought it was the inline fuel pump causing the problem so I replaced it. Started fine and I drove it about 30kms and same as before, it cut out. Started 30 mins later but cut out twice more over the next 15kms home. Tried it the day after and it started fine. I am just worried that it will do the same again.
Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Slaphead.

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
Re: R30 engine problems
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:54:21 PM »
I'm not an expert and not even sure what engine you have
but not many people log in on here anymore so ill give you my advice

sounds like there may be a blockage in the fuel lines or in a fuel filter or something.
I'd check the whole fuel system from tank to engine to make sure.

have you confirmed that it is a fueling issue?
if you are not sure - next time it wont start, pull the fuel line off after turning it over and see if its pumping fuel ok (watch out incase it sprays everywhere)
if there is plenty of fuel coming out then it may be a spark or timing issue.
www.nzprojectcars.com
NZ's newest dedicated project car forum

Slaphead

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
Sweet!!
The engine is the L24E.
Already checked from tank to engine, and fuel is flowing fine all through.
Did a read up on a site that it could be a resistor on the outside of the coil pack that is overheating and shutting the engine down until it cools down, and then it can be started up as normal once it has cooled down.
It's just weird, cause when it is on the road running normally it is a dream to drive until this intermittent issue happens!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:41:44 PM by Slaphead »

drift_ocorns

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
    • http://www.skylinesdownunder.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:24:37 PM »
a few things to check based on my personal experience with similar issues one r30s
-test pump on  a bench, replaced my twice before i got a good one that wouldnt cut out
-remove cover on tank and check for rust flakes block fuel pick up 'cage', this caused issues on my 3rd r30, intermittant cutting out etc
-pull carb down and check for contaminants? havent owned a carbed r30 before so not sure if they typically give issues or
-make sure fresh fuel is being used and doesnt have water in tank
when it gives up the ghost and wont start it might pay to do the old check for air, fuel and spark test while its not starting, at least then you can narrow it down to fuel or spark (im sure its getting air). let us know how you get on
1985 honda civic "s"
1982 DR30 RS skyline coupe

Slaphead

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
Cheers for that. I am slowly going through the checks.
I will let you know how I go on.