Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Utilizing N/A to it's full potential.  (Read 1497 times)

Mantis

• RB20DET
  • Nissan Laurel Medalist
    • View Profile
    • Nissan-dedicated Instagram
Utilizing N/A to it's full potential.
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:27:25 PM »
Hey forums;

Been doing a lot of research lately on how to get the most power out of an N/A RB engine. I'm wanting to go down a different path from typical turbos and have a crack at making a fairly quick N/A RB. I recently started to lose faith in decent power figures from N/As, until I read up on Skylines Australia that someone from NZ was running an RB30DE with 380HP at the rear wheels. I've been having a float for about 2 weeks now, dabbling onto sites and trying to pick information out that's useful but so far nothing but other people's power figures without lists of modifications or people telling them to just go DET.

I've bought a stripped 25DE head (with all the pieces, just disassembled) which is the first step towards the 30DE, but I'm hoping to pick the brains of those in my own backyard at what can really make a non-turbo scream. So far, I'm pretty set on getting the head ported and polished, hoping to get some numbers through that, and buying torque-happy cams is a definite on the list, though still need to research for the best option. This is an open thread, and my ideas are open to criticism, I'm hoping to get the most out of this 30DE so let all the knowledge flow on how to best milk an N/A. If the overall numbers don't meet what I'm expecting/hoping for, I'll just settle for a DET. I'd thought about building the engine to handle up to 10,000RPM (given it's even going to make power up to this point) and thought I'd give the team at R.I.P.S. a buzz to get their opinion on it. I was given a note to avoid skimming the head and rather replace the conrods with ARGO/Nitto Steel I beam rods, and that in order to continue making power past 6,000RPM was reliant on head work. I also managed to find a very informative article on Skyline's Australia which goes in-depth on how to get the most out of an N/A RB, which included things like cam regrinding etc. Source link posted below. By the looks of this article, the recommended path for high-power output is;

- Port and Polish
- Increase CR either via head skim, block skim, or different pistons.
- Reduce as much restrictions for air-flow and exhaust-flow as possible.
- Increase valve size.
- Camshaft regrinding.
Source link: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/194033-how-to-get-more-power-from-a-naturally-aspirated-na-engine/

Feel free to share your knowledge on the topic below, will add all useful information to this post to help others in the future.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:51:00 PM by Mantis »

Redbush

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Re: Utilizing N/A to it's full potential.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »
Hey forums;

Been doing a lot of research lately on how to get the most power out of an N/A RB engine. I'm wanting to go down a different path from typical turbos and have a crack at making a fairly quick N/A RB. I recently started to lose faith in decent power figures from N/As, until I read up on Skylines Australia that someone from NZ was running an RB30DE with 380HP at the rear wheels. I've been having a float for about 2 weeks now, dabbling onto sites and trying to pick information out that's useful but so far nothing but other people's power figures without lists of modifications or people telling them to just go DET.

I've bought a stripped 25DE head (with all the pieces, just disassembled) which is the first step towards the 30DE, but I'm hoping to pick the brains of those in my own backyard at what can really make a non-turbo scream. So far, I'm pretty set on getting the head ported and polished, hoping to get some numbers through that, and buying torque-happy cams is a definite on the list, though still need to research for the best option. This is an open thread, and my ideas are open to criticism, I'm hoping to get the most out of this 30DE so let all the knowledge flow on how to best milk an N/A. If the overall numbers don't meet what I'm expecting/hoping for, I'll just settle for a DET. I'd thought about building the engine to handle up to 10,000RPM (given it's even going to make power up to this point) and thought I'd give the team at R.I.P.S. a buzz to get their opinion on it. I was given a note to avoid skimming the head and rather replace the conrods with ARGO/Nitto Steel I beam rods, and that in order to continue making power past 6,000RPM was reliant on head work. I also managed to find a very informative article on Skyline's Australia which goes in-depth on how to get the most out of an N/A RB, which included things like cam regrinding etc. Source link posted below. By the looks of this article, the recommended path for high-power output is;

- Port and Polish
- Increase CR either via head skim, block skim, or different pistons.
- Reduce as much restrictions for air-flow and exhaust-flow as possible.
- Increase valve size.
- Camshaft regrinding.
Source link: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/194033-how-to-get-more-power-from-a-naturally-aspirated-na-engine/

Feel free to share your knowledge on the topic below, will add all useful information to this post to help others in the future.
If you start going in to the head work for best N/A performance eg boost compressions etc it will pretty much make the head usless to you. if you later decide to go turbo. My grandad went down the N/A way on his R32 daily when he had the R32 Gtr as his weekend warrior. After $8500 and a lot of labour done himself. He manage to get 300kw Out of a Rb30de with 25 head Im not sure what was done etc. But I know he was pretty dissapointed with it.

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
Here is another members RB30DE project:
http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/index.php?topic=58511.0

Another guy worth talking to is Reg Cook
http://www.sr20forum.com/sr20ve-sr16ve/273279-nissan-takes-land-speed-record-bonneville.html
who has a lifetime building and racing N/A Datsuns and Nissans. He certainly knows how to get power without a turbo.

Redbush

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »
Here is another members RB30DE project:
http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/index.php?topic=58511.0

Another guy worth talking to is Reg Cook
http://www.sr20forum.com/sr20ve-sr16ve/273279-nissan-takes-land-speed-record-bonneville.html
who has a lifetime building and racing N/A Datsuns and Nissans. He certainly knows how to get power without a turbo.
Reg cook is god. But takes a long time and he is a perfectionist.  And I got no change out of 15k for a datsun a15 motor but did get 165hp lol
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:40:18 PM by Redbush »