Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: My RB30DET money pit  (Read 3186 times)

xsv_32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
My RB30DET money pit
« on: August 06, 2016, 08:37:37 PM »
Hey everybody, it actually turns out I already had a login for this website back in 2009, but never really used it then. But now the cars nearing completion and thought I'd re introduce myself. So, My names James, and the car is a 1990 2dr R32 GTS. Well that's how it started life haha. I've owned the car for about 8 years now, and it's been a real learning curve, as all the money has come from my pocket, and all the work I can, has been done by myself and some good mates.

I have built the car to just be a road legal track toy, something I can do pursuit sprints, drags and drifting, or just take it on a road trip with mates...

So, the car specs currently go something like this.

Engine: RB30DET (RB30E Block, 25DE Head)
Standard Crank with collar
CP Pistons +1mm
Eagle Rods
Race Bearings
Car aid billet oil pump gearset
Big sump etc
Borg Warner Turbo
Twin 38mm Tials
Port and polish with ground cams and upgraded springs
4"-3.5" exhaust

Makes enough grunt to put the sh*ts up me lol

25t Big Box, Quatermaster twin plate clutch, billet flywheel.
Standard VLSD

Bunch of Hardrace arms, 324mm front brakes and D2 coilovers
Enkei RPF1 with some sticky tyres

Appearance wise the car looks rubbish lol, but some GTR parts and a paint and panel should have it looking tidy enough to keep me happy.
Working my way towards LVV cert at the moment. Cant wait to have it road legal so I don't have to tow it everytime I go to ruapuna :)

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: My RB30DET money pit
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 12:42:28 AM »
Sounds good - how about some pics?

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »
hey man, nice build sound very similar (nearly identical to my build) what Brog Warner turbo are you using? mine is a S360 83/75
god is just an imaginery friend for grown ups

xsv_32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:25:33 AM »
Will get some pictures up soon, whats the easiest way to do so other than uploading them to facebook? As I don't really want to share everything on there.

Turbo is a 366, 1.0ar

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Use something like Photobucket for best results.

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
+1 for photobucket.

how does the S366 come on? what compression are you running?

xsv_32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
RIGHT! Figured out how to get the photobucket links working after reading through the conveniently placed tutorial above :)

And to answer your question Looney, like a truck haha. Big spike in torque from 3750-4250rpm, and she's away. Using 8.5:1 compression CP pistons. Multilayer gasket.

So, here's some pictures. Not much to look at from the outside, but that'll be dealt to later on.

Inside view

Aaaaand the money shot :D Thanks Tony Crossed (Crossed up media) for the awesome picture.

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »
man this makes me want mine going so badly lol. got any videos of it going? who did the manifolds?

xsv_32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
Yeah its good fun. Um there's a couple videos of it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rb30det+ruapuna

These are a while back now, but you get the idea lol

Inlet manifold was done by a friend of mine Scott, Racefab made the exhaust manifold.

xsv_32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:55:47 PM »
Hey guys, been working away over the holidays and saving the money up to continue working on this car of mine, heres bit of an update as to where things are now.

Fitted a GTR bumper iron, as the old gts one was cut up to fit intercooler. Have moved the intercooler further back and drew up some nice alloy brackets using the stock mounting points to hold it steady. This set up should cruise through cert unlike the previous item haha.
URL=http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/xsv_32/media/20170125_211417_zpsbha5pm7g.jpg.html][/url]

Had some heating issues so now the radiator has a second cooling fan, originally I had two, but removed one to make way for crank trigger bracket. Also ditched the antifreeze for DEI coolant and de mineralised water. Runs a good 5-10 degrees cooler now. Also made up a plastic idler with a groove in it to stop the powersteer belt jumping off during track days.

New exhaust is all done, 3.5" stainless with now just the one adrenalin resonator. Two made it really quiet and I missed the note of the motor :D

I had been missing a set of block to bellhousing supports, so found some on trademe and had them re zinc plated, fitted them up. The big square bar of aluminium you can see that the jack is lifting on is going to be used for mounting a bash guard to protect the sump from ripple strips when drifting/racing. Although with the ride height up a bit more that hopefully wont really become necessary. But id rather have it there than not.

Fuel system all done and fitted. Twin 044 pumps running on variable speed controllers to help with noise and keep fuel/pump temps down when idling or cruising.

Big part of what I have been doing was burning out the old subframe bushes. What a pain in the *** haha. Subframe stripped reinforced and painted. Nolathane bushes and Hardrace camber, control and toe arms. Also fitted camber and castor up front too.

Dragged out some wide front guards I have had lying around now that I have the wheels and tyres to fill them out properly.

And lastly, just got the car back from a race fabricator who has tubbed the outer part of my rear guards in prep for wide body goodness. Plenty of travel allowed for. Will get some fibreglass work underway in the coming months. :)

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 10:19:32 PM »
awesome work, what pump controllers are those? i am going to use a solid state relay and a pwm output on the ecu for mine.

Rims look good.

xsv_32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 08:47:26 AM »
They are ones that NZEFI have done for me, they receive signal from the ecu and a couple of solid state relays much like you said. Think they are actually a genuine Porsche or jaguar part haha. They work pretty well, and your tuner will be able to set up how the pump speed is controlled, whether it be by vehicle speed, throttle position etc etc

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Did you get the high output coils from NZEFI as well? Have you got a dyno chart to post up?
Great car!

xsv_32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »
No I didn't get the coils, just runs wasted spark. Walt @ EFI suggested the wasted spark would typically be good for upto 400hp or so, but those coils are worth about $850 and I didn't have the spare cheddar at the time. But the wasted spark has proved itself reliable thus far.

Here's the most recent dyno sheet, going back in soon to sort out some boost control issues.

That torque curve tho :D :D

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 07:48:25 AM »
very nice power. that torque is impressive. 700ish Nm, solid.

was that on pump gas?