Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Smoke from turbo/exhaust manifold?  (Read 850 times)

Delta 32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Smoke from turbo/exhaust manifold?
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:59 PM »
Hi guys

So im running an rb20det in my r32 its mainly stock. It has a front mount intercooler, aftermarket BOV, custom dump pipe and 3 inch exhaust all the way through to rps muffler.

I bought an RB25 turbo from a friend that had been sitting around for quite some time. He said that it was running fine on his car.

Replaced the turbo and now after I've been driving, I open the bonnet and there is a whitish smoke coming from what looks to be the turbo, possibly exhaust manifold?

I can turn the car on cold, let it idle for 20 mins get to temp and no smoke. It's only once the turbo has been put under pressure that it smokes from the engine bay.

Car still holds boost fine and car idles/runs perfectly. Could it be turbo seals? or maybe oil built up inside from it sitting around for so long?

I don't know whether to drive it for a while to see if it fixes the problem or to diagnose further..

Coolant level not dropped or have any oil in it. Changed oil yesterday was all clean.. Any suggestions?

Delta 32

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke from turbo/exhaust manifold?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:19:21 PM »
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd follow up on this post with the problem, in case anyone else runs into it (not that I think they will)

So some how when connecting my oil return line back to the turbo, the gasket folded onto itself, creating a small gap where oil was leaking.

This was obviously dripping onto hot metal and burning hence causing the smoke.

New gasket problem solved :)

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke from turbo/exhaust manifold?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »
Well spotted - so a cheap fix!