Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: r32 head light  (Read 571 times)

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
r32 head light
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
Head light wasnt going on one side but bulb was fine.
Traced back to switch.
With a wiggle could get both going.
So figured id take it to bits and clean it. Put it back in and it melted one of the plastic pins that push the metal pins.
Why would this happen?
Will have to find another one now but im not sure if it will fix the issue, i mean theres not too much to them.

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: r32 head light
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
r32 head light system has a tendency of intermittently losing one side, i'm guessing it's the low beam that does it.
if my memory serves me right, low beam circuit doesn't have relays and that's why it happens.
i bypassed the original switch and replaced it with a generic switch and relays, no more problems even with 100w bulbs.
as for plastic pin melting, possibly the metal contacts didn't have enough good surface areas to transfer non-relayed current and got too hot.

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
Thank you for your reply. Hopefully another switch will solve this. I used sand paper between the terminals and thought that would suffice for a good connection but maybe they are just that worn.
Will update when i find another switch

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:37:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is no relay (but you want to double check) so I'd add relays to prevent this happening in the future, in addition to a new switch.

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:11:56 PM »
Got a second hand switch today and installed but it did not solve the problem fml. still have one head light not going?
Where do i go to next?

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
Just checked at the bulb plug with a multi meter and there is power there. And i know the bulb works fine (put it in other side just now) but when i put it in plug it doesnt go. So strange. it clicks in and all. how can it not be making a connection. will have to disassemble the plug terminals and clean. Never thought that would be the issue but multi meters dont lie.

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
what voltage are you seeing at the light when the switch is on? have you checked the grounds to make sure they are clean have haven't pulled out?
god is just an imaginery friend for grown ups

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
12.3 with the probes in the lightbulb plug socket thing. Dunno what grounds you are talking about?

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:51:32 AM »
Does -ve lead from the bulb plug go back to the loom or does it ground to a metal structure close to the headlight?

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »
Goes back in to loom and high beam light. I just took the plug off and put it on other side and it goes no worries so its not the plug. Very confused as both sides show same voltage on multi meter but only one side goes....

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 09:26:07 PM »
The plug has 12v until bulb is put in and draws the current. Then it reads 0v.
Multi meter is great but doesn't help me solve this mystery
May have to run a jumper wire but not really keen...

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
Unlikely it maybe, possibly the new switch is also a dud? If, so, the switch can carry a very small current at no load (i.e. when you put multimeter leads on with switch turned on) but when you actually put the bulb in the circuit, it will draw a reasonable current under load and can't supply the required current any more.
This scenario may apply to the plug also (for whatever reason, some of the wire strands have been chafed and severed etc)
I think the best way is to isolate the plug first, i.e. apply direct 12VDC to the plug and see if it lights up. You'll probably have to peel the insulation but I reckon it's worth it. If it's good, try that again further upstream, maybe just before the relays (if there are any), then to the switch etc.
Good luck.

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »
Thanks mate
So had an auto sparky today and my electrician mate. Could not solve it.
Auto sparky told me it was relay, replaced and it didnt fix fuck all.
Took all relays out and guess what? lights still on except the one i need going...
So how that works i have no idea. There no point of the relays even being there. The switch turns lights on and off without the relays even in!
It must be a dodgy bypass some where from when it used to be auto?
Am i even on the right page here?

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
Dude.
Just had a quick look at the wiring diagram (as I wasn't fully confident), the relay in the engine bay fuse/relay box serves high beam only. I bet if you pull the relay and turn on the high beam, it won't work. So like I said, the problem is very likely the switch unable to handle the full current required for 60W(?) bulb. I'd say most switches of R32 vintage would have suffered high current going through without relay and buggered like yours - which may explain your new switch still doesn't work. It's a dumb system, and that's why I recommend you rewire to have a relay for low beam as well. In that way, the switch will only carry minute trigger current and you can keep the switch. When you do it that way, you can probably use only one good contact of the switch to feed both LH & RH low beam as the trigger current is bugger all compared to that required for 60W bulb.

slickyddyer

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Solved - The high beam low beam indicator box needed attention. I stripped it and cleaned it and now it works. Not sure why no body knew about this. Makes sense now in hindsight.