Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: What is the reason behind R32 GTR alloy rear hub carriers??  (Read 147 times)

VspecII

• RB20E
    • View Profile
What is the reason behind R32 GTR alloy rear hub carriers??
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:34:42 PM »
This is one for you R32 tech nerds.

Okay so I have been thinking about this for some time now and searching the internet hasn't yielded any answers.

R32 / R33 GTR, GTS4 and Z32 300ZX all are using an alloy rear hub carrier / rear knuckle. Okay that's obvious, the thing is so much lighter than the steel carrier that RWD R32, R33, S13, S14, C33, A31 got. But my real question here actually is about the fork type mount for the rear suspension / shock. As opposed to the RWD's eyelet mount.

Was it a strength issue? Could the alloy carrier not hold a steel inserted eyelet mount with all the load on it? Or has it something to do with the 4wd geometry.. but then there was the 300zx so surely not..

The difference I see between the two types:
-Alloy carrier = lightweight, bigger rubber bushing(not sure if that's good or bad?), fork type looks like the mount on the shock itself would be weaker.
-Steel carrier = weight, smaller rubber bushing in the shock(less play?) looks stronger.

Having said all that which type do you think is better and why, the fork type or the eyelet type..

Just seems strange that you would put money and resources into creating two different carriers for the same car that do the exact same thing.

I have uploaded some pictures to make a bit more sense of my gibberish rambling.

-Steel carrier with eyelet mount

-Alloy carrier with fork mount
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:26:21 AM by VspecII »
N > 7500rpm > D skids not loading.