Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: How my daily R33 turned into a project!  (Read 310 times)

VspecII

• RB20E
    • View Profile
How my daily R33 turned into a project!
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:36:56 AM »
Hey there everyone. I'm Andre, a new member here and I've been playing with Skylines and Nissans amongst other car brands for about 10 years now.

I thought I might as well join up and share my thread with SDU since the SSE Forums are ...well pretty much dead now!
So this was my 1993 R33 Coupe that I bought back in 2010, hope you enjoy!

December 2010 and my 1989 R32 Skyline 4 door sedan project is nowhere near completion (It's still in bits to this day! ::)) I was getting pretty sick of push biking everywhere. I had a bit of money saved up so I thought I should buy another car, I had been looking on Trademe for the last couple of weeks for a daily driver. I knew I wanted something with a bit of power behind it, I thought about a early single turbo Legacy (previously owned two Legacys) but thought to myself.. nah been there and done that. I wanted something fun most likely a six cylinder, I didn't mind Toyotas I had a look at a couple chasers but they were a bit too far out of my price range.

That's when I found a 1993 R33 2 door coupe, rb25de auto with low km's on the clock. It was in serious need of a paint job and it had some ugly arse wheels on it, it hadn't been on the road since the guy had bought it in Auckland in 2009 he had taken it for a warrant and it had failed on a few smaller things. So I bargained him down to a price which I was comfortable with.

Here is a couple pictures from when I first got it. Please excuse some of these really bad phone quality photos I have taken (technology has come along way!).

Now I tidied up a few things, got a warrant and put some rego on it. Too easy.

So everything was going well about 6 months in of ownership. I now wanted to start fixing a few things up, but of course I was already throwing money at my R32! so this had to be on the cheap. I found a new bonnet that was straight and only cost me $20. Then I found a drivers guard that matched my paint code for $40.

Then I picked up a pair of wheels for $50, much easier on the eyes than those damn Rays vip wheels! Had a bit more money now and bought a pair of second hand Diesels (everyone had these back then if you wanted to be cool haha) also bought some brand new rubber for them.

Now it's September 2011 time for the fun stuff! 5 stud and non-hicas conversion!

Just my luck and it's raining! Oh well. No garage, no problem, work must go on so I pulled out some big covers that my dad had and made some sort of make shift tent for my car.

Doing the front only took 2 hours :)

Had a hick-up when I came to doing the rears, I unknowingly had bought R33 GTR rear hubs which take bigger spline axles.

So it will have to stay 4 stud rear for now, but out comes the hicas subframe!

Now I bought a WC34 Stagea rear subframe for $100, had done a bit of research on this conversion people putting them into S14's to gain track so thought it would be great under the rear of my R33. They sit 30mm wider on each side over a Skyline subframe so now there will be perfect wheel fitment without the need of spacers. Also needed the longer Stageas axles and sway bar too match.

I got stagea rear 5 stud hubs so now I can finish the 5 stud conversion.

Quite happy with how it sits at the moment so no more work was done in 2011.

2012 is here and I found a new boot lid in my factory colour! Also had the spoiler on it. Great, now there wont be that silly big gap between the rear window and the boot lid and it looks a lot smoother. I love the series 1 spoiler! Also replaced leaking water pump with brand new RB25DET one and put in RB25DET Factory radiator to help with cooling. Replaced drivers seat as bolster was munched. Bought some floor mats and replaced drivers door window regulator. Ready for summer!

I found a Passenger side guard in my factory colour so added that on. Added a GTR style grille.

Playing around with a exhaust idea, Bosozuko inspired!

Decided to swap over my gold 18 inch Stern Axia wheels a Japanese copy of one of my favourite wheels BBS LM, I think they suit this car much better.

Then I had been saving for a while and finally bit the bullet and splashed out on a paint job! No more embarrassing primer skyline haha.

[

Bought some Tein Control Master Flex adjustables over the weekend, they are body adjustable.

Snug fit after i threw some 25mm spacers on!

Gettin ma scrap on!

Temp gauge has been on the fritz for a while now ever since I put in turbo radiator around the start of the year, got it checked out at A1 radiators and he showed me with this little lazer thing that its running at 47 degrees. So I bought a new thermostat from Nissan $46 bux.
Took all the wiring out of the way and drained the coolant into some buckets, then I took out the bottom rad hose and 3 bolts to undo the housing outlet cover thing, popped off the thermostat and vuala its out.

It's no wonder the old one wasn't working, had the manufacture date stamped into it September 1993. I guess that's the month my car was put together in the factory? So that's some cool information for me. The new thermostat is February 2012.

Though it would be a good time to spray the inside of the bonnet, so I removed the rubber and the lining on the inside ready for prep.

Gave it a clean and a light sand then sprayed it.

While waiting for that to dry I put the new thermostat in and put everything back together.

To make sure everything was sweet I took it for a late night test drive without the bonnet hehe felt pretty naughty like I was up to no good. Everything was mint, running at correct temp now and here is the end result of the bonnet.

I bought a few sets of wheels over the years but always loved the gold 18's so they stayed till the end.

And I dug these two beauties up! Throwback to SSE Christchurch meet January 19th 2013.

And 2013 finally puts an end this story of probably my favourite car I've owned and there has been a lot of them!
So this is basically how it looked about 2-3 days before my old mate crashed it on his birthday while drunk and doing skids (well I sure did learn my lesson and his birthday wasn't to fun for him either).

But since he crashed it he straight swapped my r33 for his car so no longer the owner of my beloved coupe but a new owner of other 4 door R32..

I ended up selling that R32 he swapped me and using the money I traveled to Canada for mountain biking holiday and my mate had the R33 fixed at a panel beaters with a standard front cut and he got rear ended a couple weeks later of all things! He got paid out from insurance and somebody bought the wreck from them and it went to the North Island.

Now it's just a memory  :'(

Thanks for reading
N > 7500rpm > D skids not loading.

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: How my daily R33 turned into a project!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:59:31 AM »
nice memories. gutted the car ended that way :( any plans to get another Skyline?
god is just an imaginery friend for grown ups

VspecII

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
I still own the silver R32 from the first picture. I bought that in January 2010 as a standard GTS auto with blown head gasket with intentions of just getting it running. 8 years later and its still in bits haha, its been on and off the back burner a few times.

However I did replace the motor with a rb20det and did a manual conversion, brakes and all the other turbo goodies. Did a few mods and got it dyno tuned back in 2011 making 320rwhp. It was running for about 4 years then popped a head gasket.

Instead of fixing I tore the car to bits and went down the whole GTR exterior / interior conversion, rear diff, massive aftermarket brakes, I've got an rb26 sitting there for it and I have almost completed a sunroof conversion from a factory sunroof model, it just needs to be painted. Also got a pair of GTR rear quarter cuts sitting there which seems like it will never happen...

But I promised myself I will get the new motor in it this year!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:11:22 PM by VspecII »
N > 7500rpm > D skids not loading.

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
So more of a hobby than a car?
Shame about your years of labour being written off.
Sell the RB26 and build yourself a cheap RB30!!!

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »
there is no such thing as a cheap RB30... i know this lol

but good work on still having your R32
god is just an imaginery friend for grown ups